Firefox Advertising

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
wulf

Firefox Advertising

#1 Post by wulf »

Apparently,Firefox is now offering ad's to some US users...
https://www.ghacks.net/2018/12/31/firef ... -tab-page/

Pierre

Re: Firefox Advertising

#2 Post by Pierre »

and some folks will start experimenting with even more AD-blockers ..

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

This snippet was an experiment to provide more value to Firefox users through offers provided by a partner. It was not a paid placement or advertisement. We are continually looking for more ways to say thanks for using Firefox. In a similar vein, earlier this month we offered Firefox users a free opportunity to enjoy a live concert from Phosphorescent.

In addition to adding value to Firefox users these efforts are intended to support an open ecosystem. When users see such offers no data is being shared with a partner until users have made the choice to enter a relationship. We hope that this strategy sets a positive example.
What a load of crap. At least be honest and admit that, Yes, They Are Ads! FF did itself no favors here.

manyroads

#4 Post by manyroads »

May I suggest/recommend the "uBlock Origin" plugin or similar?

https://www.ublock.org/

I am an unpaid spokesperson... :lipsrsealed:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Mauser

#5 Post by Mauser »

Use uBlock Origin and HttpsEverywhere. Then type about:config in the address bar and go down to tool kit, blank out and set false to everything that says telemetry. Make sure you select do not track in Preferences and block third party cookies. Install Advert Block from the MX Package Installer and enable everything in it. More security measures are always a good idea to protect your privacy somewhat.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

sunrat

#6 Post by sunrat »

They're not ads, they are "Snippets". :p

You can disable them in Preferences except in FF64. There you can modify in about:config -

Code: Select all

user_pref(“browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.disableSnippets”, true);
user_pref(“browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.snippets”, false);
user_pref(“browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl”, “”);
I'm on FF64 and didn't even notice they were there until reading this topic. They are very nonintrusive.
I've been using Firefox since it was called Phoenix and it will continue to be my default browser. It works at least as well as any other I've tried and I believe it is more private and secure, especially after a few simple tweaks which are mainly detailed here - https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

Return to “General”