Debian Social Contract & Code of Conduct

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
manyroads

Debian Social Contract & Code of Conduct

#1 Post by manyroads »

I notice on these forums that the MX Linux community appears to value and follow both the Debian Social Contract (https://www.debian.org/social_contract) as well as the Debian Code of Conduct (https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct).

It is probably just me, but I think having both prominently stated/ presented on the MXlinux.org site as well as here would be both useful and distinctive.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Old Giza

Re: Debian Social Contract & Code of Conduct

#2 Post by Old Giza »

That's nice. But I personally do not wish to be bound by another organization's rules, no matter what the content. Especially as I have no say in their content, present or future.

I'd rather put my trust in the good sense and experience of the moderators and admins of the forum and project.

Gordon Cooper

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Old Giza wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 pm That's nice. But I personally do not wish to be bound by another organization's rules, no matter what the content. Especially as I have no say in their content, present or future.

I'd rather put my trust in the good sense and experience of the moderators and admins of the forum and project.
+1
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

georgeogoodman

#4 Post by georgeogoodman »

I agree, @manyroads.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#5 Post by j2mcgreg »

Old Giza wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 pm That's nice. But I personally do not wish to be bound by another organization's rules, no matter what the content. Especially as I have no say in their content, present or future.

+2
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Never read those documents. Don't intend to.

This forum has its own way of handling things.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Artim

#7 Post by Artim »

Isn't it kinda sad that they even need a code of conduct? It ought to be that only small kids need to be told how to behave. Now we have to remind even grownups about manners and common courtesy? Especially ones who volunteer to help others and contribute to an awesome project. I dunno, it just seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#8 Post by Eadwine Rose »

We handle things over here according to our own set of rules. Common decency and "just be nice!" are at the base of those rules.

Whenever you see something you don't approve of, send us a PM or hit the report button, that way we can take a looksee.

Trust me when I say: if push comes to shove, we still do not take banning lightly. It's that you guys can't see the mod section, but take my word on it that talking about someone, and WITH someone who disrupts the forum (that is done via pm), who eventually does get banned takes pages and pages and pages of deliberation in the team.

I could almost jokingly say that bringing out a new MX release takes less time! :laugh:
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

rasat

#9 Post by rasat »

Arch Linux code of conduct: "The Code of Conduct here has been developed over a number of years and reflects the community's ethos of a functional support system with a high signal-to-noise ratio and an explicit expectation of self-sufficiency and willingness to learn".
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Code_of_conduct

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

Curious that so many focus on the Forums when neither set of rules has anything to do with the forums but rather with communication of issues and organizational conduct regarding the OS and how items are dealt with between users (aka. buyers) and problems which may arise.

Ethics and transparency are simply what Eadwine stated....

"We handle things over here according to our own set of rules. Common decency and "just be nice!" are at the base of those rules." The only question I ask via this thread is where would I see view what those "own set of rules" are for MX Linux (not just the Forums).

Adherence by MX to these (Debian Guides/ Contracts) seems obvious in the behavior of members on the forums but is not readily viewable (findable by me, anyway) on the website. It is worth noting that when Debian is used it carries with it the obligation to be used in accordance with both see: The Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). So in fact, it is in force here (legally and in accordance with FSF as has been adopted by the free software community as the basis of the Open Source Definition (https://opensource.org/docs/osd)

Personally (and I know it's just me) I think transparency as well as a straightforward statement of operating principles is honest, truthful and helpful. But as I say, that's just me.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”