Advice needed (Solved)

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Advice needed (Solved)

#1 Post by j2mcgreg »

My nephew was over tonight and decided he would do me a favour while I was out and install Mint on my new laptop. Well it didn't go so great. Am I angry, oh that's an understatement! The live version boots to a desktop in "Compatibility Mode" OK, and the install does seem to complete, but it boots to a black screen and to add extra aggravation he removed Win 10 during the install. I'm beginning to think that the Acer Aspire 3 315 series is Win 10 only in the same way that a lot of inkjet printers are windows only

Can anybody here give me an approximate cost of what Acer will charge him to have the hard drive re-imaged? Or is it a brick and i should just cut my losses and make him buy me a new machine?

Mods: if this post is inappropriate, feel free to delete it
Last edited by j2mcgreg on Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mauser

Re: Advice needed

#2 Post by Mauser »

Acer probably won't charge you anything if it's during the warranty period. Try installing MX Linux on it first.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

I think latest Windows 10 should be able to activate automatically, you can download Windows 10 create the USB bootable medium with MS tool (on a different Windows machine) and re-install it. I think if you logged in with your MS account you should recover your activation -- don't promise that though.

Pierre

#4 Post by Pierre »

you should be be able to make your nephew re-install MX-Linux again:
- even if you are forced to supply the actual installation media.

as stated, if you re-install win-10 again, then it should auto-activate the new install ok.

in both cases, you may be prudent in supplying the installation media, of your choice,
and then supervising the re-installation, as well.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#5 Post by j2mcgreg »

Pierre: the problem is that, currently, MX or any other distro will not properly install on the Aspire3 315 series. My nephew, being too clever by half, decided to push the envelope and he failed on my dime.

Adrian et al: thanks for the advice and I will try to reinstall Win 10 today.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

fehlix
Developer

#6 Post by fehlix »

j2mcgreg wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 am the problem is that, currently, MX or any other distro will not properly install on the Aspire3 315 series.
Please explain. Does the MX Linux installation process break or failed. Or the installation finished but no boot entry available from the Acer UEFI boot menu?
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

Auro Kumar Sahoo

#7 Post by Auro Kumar Sahoo »

If you need access to data stored in drive, you can boot through MX and access your important dates and make copy to any storage medium.
Second, if during the process you love how fast and elegant MX Linux is on the same system, you can keep it permanently and we are welcoming you to a free world of yours, free from windows monopoly, free from privacy issues and lots more.
Wallpapers for mx : https://www.flickr.com/photos/aurokumar ... 2672882131 & page2
MX help : https://mxlinux.org/manuals/

दुर्लभम् हि सदा सुखम् ||{Ramayan २-१८-१३}
To be happy always is something which is difficult to achieve.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#8 Post by j2mcgreg »

fehlix wrote:
Please explain. Does the MX Linux installation process break or failed. Or the installation finished but no boot entry available from the Acer UEFI boot menu?]
An attempt to boot the MX 18.1b installer immediately fails after the Grub menu with this error:

Code: Select all

AMD-vi: IOAPIC not in ivrs table
Attempting to boot the seemingly good install of Mint using "compatibility mode" produces the same error.

Because the "compatibility mode" during Mint's install does produce a working gui, I'm now thinking that the problem lies with the implementation of the drivers, or the drivers themselves for AMD's new Radeon Vega video cards.

baldyeti

#9 Post by baldyeti »

Have you checked for hidden partition(s) ? Some systems use that to support a "restore to factory settings" feature.

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Re: Advice needed (Solved)

#10 Post by j2mcgreg »

baldyeti wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm Have you checked for hidden partition(s) ? Some systems use that to support a "restore to factory settings" feature.
It would be nice if the hidden partition is still intact, but there's no way to tell. Since MX and Mint both fail to boot, I think that it's safe to assume that a stand alone copy of GParted will also fail.

Return to “General”