Wow, somebody was busy uploading our ISOs to archive.org

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Adrian
Developer

Re: Wow, somebody was busy uploading our ISOs to archive.org

#11 Post by Adrian »

Is there any way to delete from archive an upload or it goes against what archive.org is supposed to be?

Stevo
Developer

#12 Post by Stevo »

Adrian wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 pm Is there any way to delete from archive an upload or it goes against what archive.org is supposed to be?
I've been able to delete or later add files to an upload by going into the editing mode for it, so you could remove all the files. I'm sure there's some way to completely delete an upload, but I haven't stumbled across it. Maybe I should use a search engine for that. :p

I know that archive.org also tracks numbers of downloads of all files, but haven't found out how to get that information myself. Maybe we have to ask them.

timkb4cq
Developer

#13 Post by timkb4cq »

Adrian wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 pm Is there any way to delete from archive an upload or it goes against what archive.org is supposed to be?
Any user may remove items they have uploaded.
If you hold the copyright on an item someone else has uploaded without a license or permission you can submit that information & they will remove the infringing material.
Although they don't mention it, I seem to remember that they will honor a court order for removal of material as well.
And if there's a good reason for removal outside these examples you could always politely ask the administrators. Not that I'd expect them to remove another user's upload without a darn good reason.
https://archive.org/about/terms.php
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Paul..

#14 Post by Paul.. »

I found that I could delete files from an archive and add them, but could not find a way to delete the archive itself.

I eventually discovered that this feature does not exist for ordinary users.

In the end, I sent an email to an admin and the archive was removed.

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

Return to “General”