Canonical Extends Ubuntu Support

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
dreamer

Re: Canonical Extends Ubuntu Support

#11 Post by dreamer »

Maybe asqwerth meant self-contained, meaning not relying on specific versions of distro packages. Like LibreOffice AppImages which can be used on an 8 years old distro as well as a brand new one according to the documentation. It's a well-known fact that AppImages aren't sandboxed which is one of the advantages compared to Flatpaks and Snaps (as I see it).

But it's an never-ending debate. Should we only trust packages from official repos? Should we trust proprietary code? AppImages have the advantage of not requiring root access. If you are like me and add Skype and Skype repo to your system (I guess many people do not) then Microsoft will be able to alter your base system if they wish to do so.

Security is about context and what the user personally feel comfortable with. It's always a trade-off between functionality and security. For me personally baseline security means open source software. But I'm willing to sacrifice security to gain functionality. And I also know that many open source projects are too big to be audited (no one is willing to pay for it). Systemd is a project that is a bit of a black box (not many people understand it and are able to configure it properly and it changes all the time).

Back on topic: I think it's great that Canonical can offer 10 year support. Microsoft was able to do it in the past and Windows 7 was the most praised Windows version of all time. If one decouple applications from base system (like Windows, Mac or AppImages), then it should be feasible to have a stable and secure base system with up to date applications. In reality I think 5 years like Ubuntu LTS is a good compromise between long support and starting fresh. Ubuntu has optional hardware enablement (HWE) for LTS releases with new kernel, mesa, and xorg. I know this because one HWE updated xorg and the proprietary AMD driver stopped working. :(

Canonical did make a mess of a lot of things, but one thing they always have been good at is long term support. They have the money to do it and they know that it is something business users want.

manyroads

#12 Post by manyroads »

Just so another voice is heard... I personally prefer to "dance on the edge". I appreciate stability for others but as for me, I am happy testing, stressing, concocting new variations. And when they break, :hot: I am happy rebuilding "to my last stable base". :alien:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

oops

#13 Post by oops »

manyroads wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:00 pm Just so another voice is heard... I personally prefer to "dance on the edge". I appreciate stability for others but as for me, I am happy testing, stressing, concocting new variations. And when they break, :hot: I am happy rebuilding "to my last stable base". :alien:
Me too, but with another root partition or into a virtual machine.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

manyroads

#14 Post by manyroads »

@oops... well no guts, no glory. :eek: :hell: Seriously though, I do test a lot in VirtualBox myself. :popcorn:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads Genealogy -or- eirenicon llc. (geeky stuff)
i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm, spectrwm ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Return to “General”