Canonical Extends Ubuntu Support

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Canonical Extends Ubuntu Support

#1 Post by KBD »

https://www.serverwatch.com/server-news ... years.html

Wonder how long before Debian will do the same?
My guess is Ubuntu is trying to match Redhat's 10 years of support.

Adrian
Developer

Re: Canonical Extends Ubuntu Support

#2 Post by Adrian »

I think it's more relevant for server, people won't use a desktop installation for 10 years...

Artim

#3 Post by Artim »

Why not, Adrian? If it's awesome, safe, and up-to-date, I wouldn't change anything for 10 years, maybe longer.

Richard

#4 Post by Richard »

It would be hard for me.

The new releases are more awesome, safer, and more up-to-date.
I guess I also just like to change --that's why I used to distro hop-- from boredom.
I have started testing distros in the past because there was no challenge to maintain the active.
Crazy, but true.

Experience has reduced that craziness.
Using MX since a few days after the initial release of MX-14 because it fits my idea of what I want.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Artim wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 pm Why not, Adrian? If it's awesome, safe, and up-to-date, I wouldn't change anything for 10 years, maybe longer.
Because users care about newer software, especially browsers, and in general things that change a lot, a "supported" release for 10 years means that you get the security updates but not much more (otherwise it would be a rolling release a la Arch) Think about it, there would be no need for Ubuntu to release twice a year if a 10 year old release would mean upgrading all the software. But that's not possible technology changes, you probably want better solutions not just security updates.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Yup. Servers don't need the bells and whistles, they just need to be safe.

But personal/desktop users may want to enjoy the latest features on software and that may not be able to be run on the older OS base. Or maybe the latest games won't run because it needs the latest Steam or whatever (just plucking a hypothetical from thin air because I don't play games!) which might not be able to run on the older base.

The alternative to a long-running system (that is not rolling) will be what Endless OS or Fedora's Silverblue ( https://fedoramagazine.org/give-fedora- ... est-drive/ ) offer with containerization.

You have a bare OS base plus Flatpak infrastructure as your system. Applications are installed as flatpaks, so that you can upgrade them and their respective runtime (e.g. toolkits like gtk+ or Qt) even if your base OS is on an older version of that toolkit/runtime.

However, the same caveats Dolphin_Oracle set out in his Blog entry and video on flatpaks still apply:

1. large size of applications and their runtimes
2. some apps running as flatpaks in that containerized environment may or may not work or integrate perfectly with your base system. It might also depend on the developer or flatpak maintainer/packager of the application.

But it's good that there are different choices as to how to want to run and maintain your system. You just need to assess for yourself the pros and cons and what fits your use case best.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

asqwerth
Developer

#7 Post by asqwerth »

Nitrux OS is trying to do the same thing - base OS (Ubuntu) + portable apps (Appimages).

But based on this recent review by Jesse of Distrowatch: https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issu ... 015#nitrux

there are still some issues with it. And integration with the base system is also something that affects Appimages.

From my own experience, I've also found that that Appimages, once you upgrade beyond certain versions - might no longer work on your base system, so I believe it's not 100% containerized. My example was Krita. Version 3+ Appimages work on MX. I tried running a version 4+ Appimage and it gave me some error messages.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

skidoo

#8 Post by skidoo »

https://www.appimagehub.com/

AppImages are self-contained apps which can simply be downloaded & run on any Linux distribution. For easy integration, download AppImageLauncher
Really, the words container and AppImage don't belong together in a one-sentence description.
We can accurately say an appimage file is an archive, an archivefile. The construct is derived from RoxDesktop AppDir distribution files.
Security-wise, an AppImage -packaged application is not "containerized".
The author of firejail is striving to provide a mechanism for auto-sandboxing launched AppImages, but (IMO) that mechanism is not ready for primetime.

Watch 'em like a hawk I am. Rechecked the various docs tonight to verify they are not making any representations regarding security.
I really wish the docs would convey a disclaimer, but oh well.
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher
https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit
https://appimage.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppImage "...a portable, self-contained, distro-agnostic [package]"

KBD

#9 Post by KBD »

Flatpacks and Snap packages should allow updates of the main applications like Firefox, Libreoffice, etc. I could see certain machines, especially older ones and servers that I would not want to fix if they aren't broken. Ubuntu gets more bloated with every release. I compare older Ubuntu/Mint releases and the newer ones use more ram, slower to start up and shutdown, gtk3 may be much of it, but whatever the reason, Ubuntu gets more bloated with each new release. So sticking to a lighter, dependable base will have an audience. Remember that using a Windows release for a decade is expected, so Ubuntu would be more appealing to some people because of it.

Now back to reality :) Ubuntu is only doing this because Shuttleworth is going to do an IPO next year, according to his words, and I'm sure he is hoping for a buyer with big pockets. He is trying to make Ubuntu Server, the profitable arm of Ubuntu, more like Redhat with 10 years support. As for practical experience, I've never got Main Ubuntu to last more than a couple of years, usually not that long, before they break it with an update, so I take 10 years with a grain of salt, knowing anyone who even get 5 years of a working Ubuntu desktop should thank their lucky stars :)

oops

#10 Post by oops »

Artim wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:29 pm Why not, Adrian? If it's awesome, safe, and up-to-date, I wouldn't change anything for 10 years, maybe longer.
+1, I agree, I like the LongTime Support too, and with the solutions like appimage, flatpak, snaps, etc , only security updates are required.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “General”