MX and Devuan?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
richb
Administrator

Re: MX and Devuan?

#21 Post by richb »

@ misko-2083

Wrote what I wrote and stand by it. Not trying to be liked.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

malspa

#22 Post by malspa »

misko-2083 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 amAnd if I install Budgie Desktop on Antix, I'll be runing Solus instead of Antix?! :D
Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:
Ugh. The way I look at things, if it's in the repos then it's part of the distro. How many users stick with only the defaults? Adding something from outside of the repos, that's different.

fehlix
Developer

#23 Post by fehlix »

misko-2083 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 am But why it's possible to install systemd in Antix in the first place?
Because you havn't turned on a block-rule for making it impossible for you get slurping in those dark, dangerous, unwanted packages. :anispider2: :hell:
If you need help to turn on blocking the unspoken, unwanted, you might think about formulating a nice and friendly help request.
Posts, with unfriendly or "strong" (as we cal it in DE) attributes are silently ignored. :blindfold:

Have a nice day.
fehlix
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

richb
Administrator

#24 Post by richb »

malspa wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:20 pm
misko-2083 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 amAnd if I install Budgie Desktop on Antix, I'll be runing Solus instead of Antix?! :D
Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:
Ugh. The way I look at things, if it's in the repos then it's part of the distro. How many users stick with only the defaults? Adding something from outside of the repos, that's different.
With all due respect that is not the contentious issue. Yes, one can install anything in the Debian repo. The issue is whether antiX is systemd free or not. It is as shipped. If one chooses to install Gnome, a major change in the DE, systemd is brought in. Obviously opinions vary but I will stick with the antiX developers in their position. My last word on this topic that has veered off topic.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

Richard

#25 Post by Richard »

unnecessary
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

malspa

#26 Post by malspa »

richb wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pmThe issue is whether antiX is systemd free or not. It is as shipped.
Understood. antiX is systemd-free "as shipped," okay. systemd-free out-of-the-box. But antiX does ship with those repos enabled. 'Nuff said.

@manyroads - I don't think your question was "dumb" at all. The part about "or optional base" sounds interesting.

Anyway, if/when Devuan reaches a point where the MX and antiX devs are satisfied with its stability, wouldn't a Devuan base be an option worth considering? Or maybe not, since anticapitalista has pointed out that Devuan does include libsystemd0.

anticapitalista
Developer

#27 Post by anticapitalista »

malspa wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:41 pm
richb wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pmThe issue is whether antiX is systemd free or not. It is as shipped.
Understood. antiX is systemd-free "as shipped," okay. systemd-free out-of-the-box. But antiX does ship with those repos enabled. 'Nuff said.

@manyroads - I don't think your question was "dumb" at all. The part about "or optional base" sounds interesting.

Anyway, if/when Devuan reaches a point where the MX and antiX devs are satisfied with its stability, wouldn't a Devuan base be an option worth considering? Or maybe not, since anticapitalista has pointed out that Devuan does include libsystemd0.
The enabled repos are the standard Debian repos, on which we are based. We cannot remove systemd or libsystemd0 from upstream Debian.
gnome has libsystemd0 hard coded as a dependency. To rebuild nosystemd versions of gnome that do not require libsystemd0 is far too much work for our small team. If user installs gnome, user gets libsystemd0, but not systemd (this is a fairly recent change it seems as in the past, installing gnome brought in the whole of systemd)
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

anticapitalista
Developer

#28 Post by anticapitalista »

Whether gnome would actually work without systemd on antiX - I have no idea.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Richard

#29 Post by Richard »

misko-2083's argument that antix is broken because it allows one to break it
if you try hard enough. I thought that was the foundation of linux.
You are free to try whatever you wish. There are many ways to break it.
And you might find a new way of fixing it. :)

Reminds me of buying a car with a diesel engine, filling the tank with gasoline
and accusing the manufacturer of building a faulty engine when it breaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtozuGGVFqg

I wonder what else Trisquel protects their users from? That's a strange idea.
They didn't used to do that.

Richard

#30 Post by Richard »

You must really try hard to break antix.

On antiX-17.2_386-full with stock repos on EeePC 1005HA:

Code: Select all

# apt-get update && apt-get -s install libsystemd
returns

Code: Select all

E: Unable to locate package libsystemd

Return to “General”