IBM to Acquire Red Hat

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
handy

IBM to Acquire Red Hat

#1 Post by handy »

1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

Pierre

Re: IBM to Acquire Red Hat

#2 Post by Pierre »

it's an interesting proposal, too.

most folks will take it, as an fairly good thing, & where those same folks would be dubious if this was M$,
- just where IBM will take Red Hat, will remain to be seen.

How the cloud wars forced IBM to buy Red Hat for $34 billion:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-the-c ... 4-billion/
IBM's purchase of Red Hat is a big bet on the hybrid and private cloud and the ability of Big Blue to manage multiple public cloud providers.

clicktician

#3 Post by clicktician »

handy wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm Just as well it wasn't Microsoft as that would really have the Linux world in a tizz!
Haha. Yeah, MS didn't own GitHub until the deal closed last Fri. I don't think anyone even noticed.

$34 billion for a company that made $258 million last year on revenue of $2.9 billion. I don't know what those RH boys were doing with all their profits (it wasn't going to investors, that's for sure). But the weekly launch parties are probably over.

Revenue was growing a modest 20% year over year. But at the same time, net income has been falling. IBM sez they need RH to compete with Amazon, Microsoft & Google cloud services. And they probably do.
But the only reason I can think of that IBM would cough up a 68% premium for RH shares is if they were sure they could bring spending under control.

IBM sez RH will operate as a separate entity with no changes. Hahaha. With RH's 11% margin? That's cute. Oh yes, honey. There will be changes.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

KBD

#4 Post by KBD »

handy wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:08 pm https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-r ... 000RWK2AAO

https://newsroom.ibm.com/2018-10-28-IBM ... d-Provider

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/red-hat- ... 000RWK7AAO

Just as well it wasn't Microsoft as that would really have the Linux world in a tizz!
I don't know. We might have been better off with Microsoft. IBM killed OpenOffice. They dumped their computer business. I would be very concerned if I depended upon Fedora. For the rest of us, Debian and Ubuntu live and die by Redhat's choices, so we may all regret this situation before it's over with.

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

IBM might end up killing Red Hat with red tape and corporate BS...

KBD

#6 Post by KBD »

Adrian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm IBM might end up killing Red Hat with red tape and corporate BS...
It might just suck the life out of Redhat to prop up its dying business and improve stocks so the old timers can cash out. IBM has been croaking for awhile now.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ibm-still ... ese-years/

I'm not sure there could have been a worse company to buy Redhat. I predict a fork in the near future. And I hope Debian will separate itself more from Redhat's influence going forward.

xali

#7 Post by xali »

sortly before ibm purchase of red hat there were some other news related to ibm. https://cryptocoin.news/news/ibm-develo ... ain-20050/ and ibm has already banks as customers i believe. i think this means something, don't you?

Redacted

#8 Post by Redacted »

KBD wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am

... Debian and Ubuntu live and die by Redhat's choices, so we may all regret this situation before it's over with.
I didn't know this. I always thought the Debian branches were independent.
Can you - or someone - explain more?
Thanks.

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

Redacted wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:31 pm
KBD wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am

... Debian and Ubuntu live and die by Redhat's choices, so we may all regret this situation before it's over with.
I didn't know this. I always thought the Debian branches were independent.
Can you - or someone - explain more?
Thanks.
I think the idea is that Red Hat pushes technology and then the entire Linux world (including Debian) follows suit.

Redacted

#10 Post by Redacted »

Adrian wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm I think the idea is that Red Hat pushes technology and then the entire Linux world (including Debian) follows suit.
Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Return to “General”