Color dot matrix printer recommendation?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
MX-16_fan

Color dot matrix printer recommendation?

#1 Post by MX-16_fan »

@all:

I am looking for a dot matrix printer that has the following features:
  • Works with MX-17.1 without the need to install any proprietary drivers.
  • Can do color printing.
  • Prints at least 360 x 360 dpi.
  • Can be connected via Enhanced Parallel Port and Extended Capability Port cable and/or serial cable.
  • Can work with continuous form paper and with normal paper, minimum size: US Letter, DIN A4. Option for printing bigger paper sizes would be appreciated, but isn't necessary.
  • Reliable printing on continuous form paper, i.e. doesn't produce gradual vertical text shifting.
  • Ribbons still available from original manufacturer.
Any size would fit, i.e. a huge industry-style machine would be just as good as a small desktop machine.

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Greetings, Joe

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Color dot matrix printer recommendation?

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

I would respectfully suggest research on the Internet would be a more productive way of finding what you want, although I'm not sure such a thing actually exists!

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

MX-16_fan

#3 Post by MX-16_fan »

@chrispop99:
chrispop99 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 am I would respectfully suggest research on the Internet would be a more productive way of finding what you want ...
I'd rather rely on recommendations from a huge community of competent people, especially as the primary feature would be "Works with MX-17.1" (see above).

Greetings, Joe

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

I'd rather rely on recommendations from a huge community of competent people, especially as the primary feature would be "Works with MX-17.1" (see above).
I'm willing to guarantee that all printers that work with Linux can be made to work with MX.

The printer you are looking for is a pretty rare thing, and I would doubt there would be many here who are using one.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

MX-16_fan

#5 Post by MX-16_fan »

@chrispop99:
chrispop99 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:00 am I'm willing to guarantee that all printers that work with Linux can be made to work with MX.
Thanks for that information.
chrispop99 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:00 am The printer you are looking for is a pretty rare thing, and I would doubt there would be many here who are using one.
Let's see :happy:.

Greetings, Joe

timkb4cq
Developer

#6 Post by timkb4cq »

There are still several Epson 24 pin dot matrix printers on the market that meet all but one of the requirements - that one being color printing.
Color dot matrix printing was always a kludge. It was always lower saturation and black ink would contaminate the other ribbon colors via the pins.
The inkjets took over that market space long ago and I haven't seen a color dot matrix printer in over a decade.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

richb
Administrator

#7 Post by richb »

When I was younger and foolish I paid $1500 for a dot matrix Epson color printer. I cannot tell you why except I had to have it. As mentioned quality was terrible and ink contamination to the ribbon occured very quickly further degrading printed images. Perhaps the technology has improved but the inherent basic principle of its operation implies limitations.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

MX-16_fan

#8 Post by MX-16_fan »

@timkb4cq,
@richb:

Thanks for the warning. I had heard about the color problem before, but I didn't know it was that bad.

Should I happen to get the chance to test color printing with a newer dot matrix device, I'll let you know.

@richb:

I can fully understand that you simply had to buy that printer :happy:!

Greetings, and have a nice weekend, Joe

Richard

#9 Post by Richard »

I remember using a black & red ribbon on a Citizen as well as on an Epson dot matrix printer.
My use of them was only either/or black or red.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Return to “General”