New Linux forum

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

Re: New Linux forum

#11 Post by j2mcgreg »

Not interested. The site looks like a scratch searching for an itch.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

malspa

#12 Post by malspa »

Well, a lot of times at forums that kinda cater to all Linux users, you get people asking for recommendations about which distro to try, which distro might work well with someone's hardware or for a certain situation, or folks talking about their experiences with other distros. Looking at it that way, a forum like this could benefit MX Linux. But, I don't know, I like Linux in general more than I like any one particular distro. I don't see any distro as being the "best" one out there. And one thing I really don't like is when a distro's forums don't allow any discussion about other distros. Seems kinda narrow-minded, or closed-minded, from my perspective, although I can understand that opening up a forum to discussions like that could create a lot of extra work for mods. I think that getting other points of view is worth it, though, but that's just me.

clicktician

#13 Post by clicktician »

"Making Linux Easy For You! EzeeLinux is a community outreach project that helps to raise awareness about Open Source computing and Desktop Linux."

I would say that unless you've contributed to the creation of an Open Source app or a distro, you're simply talking about the things other people have done to make Linux easy for you. There's a huge difference, and you may be giving yourself little too much credit. Lol.
Anyone who has installed MX is lightyears beyond the awareness stage. So, in all fairness, the target audience is vastly different. I don't believe there's any overlap with this forum.

People go where they will get the right answers. I bet half of the support queries here on MX have nothing to do with MX itself. It's someone trying to get a program to behave, and it's a coincidence that they're using MX. But they go where the answers are.

If EzeeLinux wants to succeed in drawing the MX crowd, they must start by having the answers.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

asqwerth
Developer

#14 Post by asqwerth »

I think forum members Gerson and Mauser just wanted to spread the word about MX a little further due to their enthusiasm for it (which I appreciate), so I don't see any issue. Seems to be more of a place to chat about Linux-related topics.

I don't see why we have to monitor it or pop in to give input. Any type of equipment and software will find itself being discussed in many unofficial forums and sub-boards - even help forums - all over the Web, not just on its official website/forum. Like clicktician says, people will go where the answers are.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Gordon Cooper

#15 Post by Gordon Cooper »

I have joined too, but mainly to spread the word. If any clearly stated MX queries appear, I intend to direct the user here for answers. There is an initial flush of people joining, the moderation looks to be very light, so will just wait and see things pan out. It will be easy to quit.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “General”