A cautionary tale ... "The video wars of 2027"

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
wellsey

A cautionary tale ... "The video wars of 2027"

#1 Post by wellsey »

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/08/the-v ... s-of-2027/

This post imagines a dystopian future where only the rich can stream video to their homes, and the democratizing forces of the internet have crumbled under corruption and greed. The author reports back from a troubled future in the late 2020s that is wholly fictitious. The open video codec AV1 is wholly real.
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

KBD

Re: A cautionary tale ... "The video wars of 2027"

#2 Post by KBD »

Nah, that's just the Comcast plan for the future of the Internet ;)

Gordon Cooper

#3 Post by Gordon Cooper »

If I am still here in 2027 (very doubtful) I could revert to smoke signals, but the bandwidth might be a bit small. :bagoverhead:
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Does Firefox support playing AV1 streams yet? Do any other players support the codec? I searched a few weeks ago, and couldn't find anything yea or nay...I got the impression that its encoding is still extremely slow.

Pierre

#5 Post by Pierre »

that's no so far fetched, either:
- in this country, where there is a "New Digital System" being phased in,
and there is already some suburbs that have FTTP on one side of a street, and FTTN on the other side of that street.
& so you have to Pay To Be Upgraded :eek: thus that can affect the ability stream video to some homes.

- - your playing of any playing AV1 streams, will only be part of the issue.
:alien:

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#6 Post by ChrisUK »

I wouldn't worry about it - there'll be either
  • A World War (China and USA being the main actors)
  • An extinction level event caused by a Super Volcano or Asteroid strike or a Gamma-ray burst
  • A Global Pandemic (our antibiotics are becoming ineffective and we still don't fully understand how a Virus works)
  • Physicists accidentally creating a Black Hole that swallows the Earth (and the Solar System)
  • Physicists accidentally creating a Wormhole that swallows the Earth (and the Solar System)
  • A new invention that makes the referenced article irrelevant
  • A catastrophic Weather event that nobody predicted could occur, but did
  • or...
In other words, nobody can predict the future... well, not with any accuracy ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

clicktician

#7 Post by clicktician »

Ah, yes. You'd think us dullards would have learned from the Audio wars of 1990 that put music beyond the reach of all but the rich. Now, we all live in silence. And the e-book wars that made Amazon.com Emperor of the World because only the rich could afford books. And the Social Media wars that happened after 3 mega corporations cornered the offerings and began charging so much that only the wealthiest few could share content. Such horrific wars.

Oh, wait. None of that absurd crap happened? My suggestion for the author: Perhaps a better understanding of modern consumerism and the business models of profiting from content creation and delivery would make for a more compelling story. Or just observing history in one's own lifetime.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

Return to “General”