How do they know?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Eadwine Rose
Administrator

Re: How do they know?

#11 Post by Eadwine Rose »

We Dutch call "potato chips" "chips". French fries are called friet over here.

Funny.. language things heh.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#12 Post by ChrisUK »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:19 pm We Dutch call "potato chips" "chips". French fries are called friet over here.

Funny.. language things heh.
I've not travelled, but if I did, I think that I'd need to learn the equivalent of "French Fries" in every language... very important to get the food that you expect on your plate (I've made a start with "friet" if I was to go to Holland) ;)

Language is quite a fascinating subject, much of the English language comes from French (The Normans) and Latin... Years ago when I was learning French (much of which I've now forgotten), it surprised me how many words ending in "tion" (as in "station") were identical in French, because they came from French. We don't pronounce them the same way, but they're the same words.

Oh, and Dutch has given us some words too, like "freight", "brandy", "yacht"... there's more too.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#13 Post by j2mcgreg »

I think that it's just the potato chip manufacturer's marketing plan. He / she/ they will want to avoid a scenario like ... Oh they taste great but they look disgusting ..., so they take pains to make sure that only top notch ingredients and best practices are used in the initial product runs. Once the new flavour or brand is established, they can afford to lower their standards ( and probably raise their profit margins).
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

rokytnji.1
Global Moderator

#14 Post by rokytnji.1 »

If you have Alexa , Similiar Web, siri, among others. I am guessing. The shadow will know. Social media Likes to share druthers also. Then there is geo locator on my durn phone telling the world where I am at and maybe what I am doing.

Chili dogs and home made long Idaho potato , French cut fries, smothered in chili and cheese with dos equis long neck beer on the menu tonight. If you no likey. More for me. :toast:

tascoast

#15 Post by tascoast »

I once worked with crisp (and other) potato breeding and agronomy. Seeing sliced and fried samples laid out from various new crosses (grown from actual seed-microtubers in glasshouse-field trials. On occasions I'd visit a commercial plant to try promising varieties out.

I recall the trucks of fresh spuds arriving, being checked for dry mass particularly (dry/suspended in water weights x basic formula), before joining the commercial line beginning with folk wearing mesh gloves cutting off obvious damage and imperfections before a skinning machine and conveyor delivered them to a centrifugal cutter (like a giant vertical tub with blades). From there they dropped into a covered cooker and rolled out a few meters away, piping hot to touch, to be inspected for blemishes by a couple of employees.

My task was to peel the potato samples I'd been sent with, run a simple apple corer through the middle of the tuber, toddle up to the walkway over the cutter, drop them in, then hurry to the belt where they left the cooker and bag up any holey crisps I could spot, tagging for return to the agronomists to inspect.

Aussies call 'em chips, crisps in the US I understand. Hot chips or fish 'n chips means the traditional chunky ones you'd typically see in the UK.

The specific quality of potatoes is obviously important to transnational buyers. Fries, those thinner, fast food style hot chips, depend on somewhat different characteristics, a spud that is oval but long (a small brick shape would be ideal!), rather than rounder and a bit smaller for crisping.

I don't know why new flavours would present better. If they do, it might represent small batch runs or something like that, with possibly additional eyes on the raw product quality, more staff temporarily available for picking out blemishes, things like that. Most of the process is pretty automated though, assuming the bulk load meets production criteria.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

asqwerth
Developer

#16 Post by asqwerth »

Everything is understood here in its proper context.

Potato chips or crisps; fish and chips; chunky cut chips or fries; and in a Belgian restaurant for instance, frites with your mussels. Yum.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

tascoast

#17 Post by tascoast »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/w ... ic/7069684

Scallop for potato cake is one local eccentricity, the former prevailing in our national capital. Some people even say fritter, I gather, out in the whoop whoop, beyond the black stump, the back of Bourke, out bush...Soft drink remains the firm Aussie preference for soda pop fizzy stuff, but I think there's a regional variation somewhere for that one too.

Suggested imaginary reading -
Frits and French fries : the Perils of Food Nomenclature During Times of Global Tension. :happy:
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

anticapitalista
Developer

#18 Post by anticapitalista »

Quite obviously the companies have placed a chip on you without you knowing.
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

ekeimaja

#19 Post by ekeimaja »

I think it is just a coincidence. As a regular eater of certain chips brand I can tell that the quality between the bags of same flavour can vary drastically.
Last edited by ekeimaja on Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

Gaer Boy

#20 Post by Gaer Boy »

It's the same mechanism that controls my use of the Forum. When I'm checking posts throughout the day, 'Newest Posts' always shows the exact number of topics with unread posts - there are never more or less!

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

Return to “General”