How do they know?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

How do they know?

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

Not a serious subject, and I've no idea if this applies to other countries, but it certainly applies here in the UK:

Erm, lets restrict this to potato products for now - potato chips/fries/crips, not silicon chips ;)

If there's a new flavour/style of chips out, and you buy a bag, that first bag is full of almost perfect potatoes cut into chips. And this also applies to a bag of chips you've not tried before, not just a new line. Here's the strange thing; the next bag you buy, and every bag thereafter, contains many bad potatoes cut into chips. How do they know when it's not your first bag?

It happens with crisps (potato chips) too, the first bag you buy is almost perfect, the ones after are full of... yep, you guessed it, bad potatoes cut into crisps.

So... how do they know?
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

dolphin_oracle
Developer

Re: How do they know?

#2 Post by dolphin_oracle »

ChrisUK wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:16 am Not a serious subject, and I've no idea if this applies to other countries, but it certainly applies here in the UK:

Erm, lets restrict this to potato products for now - potato chips/fries/crips, not silicon chips ;)

If there's a new flavour/style of chips out, and you buy a bag, that first bag is full of almost perfect potatoes cut into chips. And this also applies to a bag of chips you've not tried before, not just a new line. Here's the strange thing; the next bag you buy, and every bag thereafter, contains many bad potatoes cut into chips. How do they know when it's not your first bag?

It happens with crisps (potato chips) too, the first bag you buy is almost perfect, the ones after are full of... yep, you guessed it, bad potatoes cut into crisps.

So... how do they know?

A question after my own heart :happy:

In the US, Lays produces special flavors in batches on the same production line as other flavors. So the flavors that are available alternate over time.

Theory: When you first buy a new flavor of potato chips, you are probably at the head end of the batch. Later bags come from further down in the run.

So they give everyone more perfect chips when a flavor is first produced, and more average ones later in the batch process.

The batch concept could also apply to potato chips you haven't tried before, as the process would repeat with a new load of potatoes/new batch.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by ChrisUK »

OK, I can see how that "head end of the batch" might work for new product lines, but they seem to know whichever batch I buy. I've even bought different batch numbers at the same time.

This is where it gets weird (and it has happened to me in the past... often):

Say my Wife has been eating a brand of French Fries for years - I've never tried them, but decide to try them one day, and like them. She gives me an unopened bag she has in the freezer. I open the bag... perfect potatoes cut into chips. I then ask her to buy me a bag next time she goes shopping... you know where this is going, don't you? ;) When I open this new bag it has loads of chips with bad bits... so how did they know that previous bag in the freezer was my first bag? And if my Wife had kept that bag for herself, would they have contained bad potatoes?

;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

It might also be an instance of confirmation bias...

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by ChrisUK »

Adrian wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 am It might also be an instance of confirmation bias...
Could be, although at my age, recalling any past experience with accuracy is a bit hit-and-miss. So I could just as easily have made it up ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#6 Post by Eadwine Rose »

*sigh* Now I want potato chips....
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#7 Post by dolphin_oracle »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:29 am *sigh* Now I want potato chips....
I feel your pain
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#8 Post by Eadwine Rose »

At least the stores are open for almost another two hours ;)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

duane

#9 Post by duane »

My wife likes potato chips as well.
I only want just one.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#10 Post by ChrisUK »

Just to avoid confusion (and to confirm):

Here in the UK, what others (USA etc) call "Potato Chips", we call "Crisps" - and what others call "French Fries" or just "Fries", we call "Chips".

So, my "Bag of Crisps" is your "Bag of Chips"? And my "Plate of Chips" is your "Plate of Fries"? ;)

(I prefer Pringles... less bad bits ;) )
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Return to “General”