The Desktop Cube

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

The Desktop Cube

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

A few years ago, "The Desktop Cube" was mentioned/promoted/raved about, in most Linux forums. It looked "pretty", and more importantly, Windows couldn't do it at the time. I was never a fan of it, as I do work on my computers, not stare at the flashy Window effects ;), but I was wondering what happened to it. I hardly ever see it mentioned now, but I'm pretty sure Compiz can still do it... so why did it stop being mentioned?
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

richb
Administrator

Re: The Desktop Cube

#2 Post by richb »

ChrisUK wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:34 am A few years ago, "The Desktop Cube" was mentioned/promoted/raved about, in most Linux forums. It looked "pretty", and more importantly, Windows couldn't do it at the time. I was never a fan of it, as I do work on my computers, not stare at the flashy Window effects ;), but I was wondering what happened to it. I hardly ever see it mentioned now, but I'm pretty sure Compiz can still do it... so why did it stop being mentioned?
Yes Compiz can do it and probably not a big deal because it is just flash. I use Compiz' desktop wall to change desktops and it is useful., as is a show all windows function. As a mouse user I utilize the corners to activate these features as well as "show desktop".
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

asqwerth
Developer

#3 Post by asqwerth »

Well, I screenshotted the Compiz desktop cube in action, in a forum post last year: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 97#p409897

:happy: :p

I don't use the keyboard+mouse-controlled cube effects much (the one in the screenshot above where the desktop cube seems to be floating in the distance) but do use the keyboard-controlled "cube-flip" to change desktops.

Nevertheless, the former is a fun effect.

Like Richb, I mainly use Compiz for the expose and windows overview function, but I also like the window effects for closing, opening and minimising windows.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

You can also get the cube in vanilla Debian XFCE without our compiz-reloaded by running kwin as the window manager and setting up the effect in its settings. Kwin doesn't have the large array of animations that compiz-reloaded does, though.

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#5 Post by ChrisUK »

asqwerth wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:53 am Well, I screenshotted the Compiz desktop cube in action, in a forum post last year: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 97#p409897

:happy: :p

I don't use the keyboard+mouse-controlled cube effects much (the one in the screenshot above where the desktop cube seems to be floating in the distance) but do use the keyboard-controlled "cube-flip" to change desktops.

Nevertheless, the former is a fun effect.

Like Richb, I mainly use Compiz for the expose and windows overview function, but I also like the window effects for closing, opening and minimising windows.
OK, I must admit that it does look good, but it's wasted on me... I spend hours working on the same program. I might just be editing pictures one day - browsing the web in Firefox another day... I don't often switch windows or programs, so I'd hardly ever see any desktop effects ;)

From what @richb says, I can see it has it's uses.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

male

#6 Post by male »

I admit I never got along with Compiz Cupe. :alien:
But all the more with the pedant in KDE, here one of the last examples...

neige4.jpg

...as already said, this is not good for working, only for playing. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General”