Winepak: installing Windows apps on Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Winepak: installing Windows apps on Linux

#1 Post by KBD »

You guys hear anything about how well this works, or not?
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/in ... ot-easier/

Stevo
Developer

Re: Winepak: installing Windows apps on Linux

#2 Post by Stevo »

I hope it won't be hundreds of MB for a simple text editor like Flatpaks are.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

Stevo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm I hope it won't be hundreds of MB for a simple text editor like Flatpaks are.
It is surprising how big Flatpacks are, which is why I generally don't use them. But I do hope Winepak brings more people to Linux and actually works as promised.

thomasl

#4 Post by thomasl »

From what I've taken from the article this seems to pack a complete .wine install with the app in question into a flatpak. Yuck.

Nothing against wine though... I have to say that I am amazed as to how well most of the Windows applications I've tested work. I was tempted to go with VirtualBox and a Windows VM but so far I've either found a Linux replacement or the app in questions run well enough under wine. And it's quite efficient apart from the initial startup. Which may well turn out to be a problem for winepaks if every pak carries its own .wine/ directory because then these can't be cached.
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

Return to “General”