"Linux is about choice"

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

"Linux is about choice"

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

An interesting piece by Jessie Smith... in case you missed it:

Linux is about choice
Last edited by ChrisUK on Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

greywolf

Re: "Linux is about choice"

#2 Post by greywolf »

He describes the Linux I came through - 1988 (then early 90's in earnest) to now. Nowadays I find I have to bite my tongue and aplogise a lot to newbies because I dare to suggest they get out of the way of their own shadow and participate in their own solutions?!

Still, great journey, have not had a proprietary os on a machine here for over a decade and still love "tinkering" around with CLI solutions. Oh the power of it all !! :happy:

greywolf.
It is about the Dragons - it was always about the Dragons!

ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

#3 Post by ChrisUK »

Sadly, it's not just Linux Users that have changed... it's the whole of society... but that's another story ;)
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

Adrian
Developer

#4 Post by Adrian »

So an "eternal September" for Linux?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

duane

#5 Post by duane »

Yeah not much has changed with the BSD's.
For instance there are these events: https://www.openbsd.org/hackathons.html
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

wellsey

#6 Post by wellsey »

So this author bemoans the fact that linux is now used by 'ordinary joe's' and is no longer the exclusive preserve of techies and wanna be techie's - a pretty backward looking view imho
"There's no limit to what he can do. He could destroy the Earth... If anything should happen to me you must go to Gort, you must say these words, 'Klaatu barada nikto', please repeat that."

Dell Latitude E4310 I5 8GB 256GB SSD

Richard

#7 Post by Richard »

Depends on whether you grew up on the internet during that September. I was a 45 year old kid with a new toy.

I remember being among the herd during that September. There were a lot of us who learned the hard way. Mainly a matter of reading and searching before asking, giving enough background to entice someone to expound on your problem, remembering to check back for replies, learning patience and how to ask for help.
Probably hasn't changed much, one is still expected to have tried to search for an answer, to ask without demanding and to give some system info.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Mauser

#8 Post by Mauser »

All operating systems are about choice. You can choose to use them or not and use what ever you want.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Artim

#9 Post by Artim »

wellsey wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:11 pm So this author bemoans the fact that linux is now used by 'ordinary joe's' and is no longer the exclusive preserve of techies and wanna be techie's - a pretty backward looking view imho
This! The cool thing is, it's those wonderful super techs who made Linux usable by us mere mortals. They wanted to share their freedom with the rest of us. That's what Mepis was all about, and Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mint, Zorin, Linux Lite, etc. And of course the best of all, MX!

I didn't have a choice before I discovered Linux. It was either Windows or spend a zillion and twelve dollars on a Mac. Neither was a good choice for a technophobic student on a budget of basically Zero. Finding Linux was not only a third option, but there was a whole universe of choices to be made after that: Which distro, which desktop, what mixture to make... lots to learn. Before I learned enough to make a well-informed choice, I let one of those online "distro choosers" help me pick the appropriate stuff. The more I learn, the more choices I have!

Pierre

#10 Post by Pierre »

then there is those folks who bemoan about "too much choice".
:(
so, what do they really want ? freedom from proprietary system ?.

the thing is, that once you have experienced that 'choice' then you never look at operating systems,
the same way, as you once did.

they can all be manipulated, and sure, some are better than some others are.
& they are all better than that proprietary system, that you started out, with.
- at least, that's what you hope for .. ..

Return to “General”