[Solved]Routers and Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
uncle mark

Re: Routers and Linux

#11 Post by uncle mark »

Netgear, hands down. I use a WNDR3400 myself, have a higher end Netgear in service at my workplace, and have recommended and installed Netgear in homes of people I support. Additionally, I have Netgear range extenders in both my home and workplace, and have had very good luck with them. I personally recommend going a step or two above the bottom end consumer models; you pay more, but stability and longevity make it worthwhile. JME. YMMV.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

HessenZone

#12 Post by HessenZone »

I suppose it also depends on where you're located and what's available. We have a Fritzbox 7490 with full access via CP. Features include 2 USB 3 ports, 4x Gigabit LAN, Wifi everything including AC, Speed throtteling if you're into that, Phone & hardware/FAX support, Separate guest accounts for other users, etc. etc. We love it, had it for the past 3 years now.
Before that we used a Netgear N600 Router, also very fast & nice, but not compatible with separate phone hardware.
We hard-wire everything for security reasons. I only use Wifi for client machines (temporarily of course). ;)

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

KBD

#13 Post by KBD »

Want to say thanks folks for your suggestions. I picked up a Netgear router. Overall not terrible to set up, had one glitch where it did not want to accept the default admin password, so it asked me two security questions I gave it during setup, thankfully I remembered my answers as I usually don't pay much attention to those, and of course it then gave me the same admin user and password it had rejected. But working fine now.
Thanks again for your help!

sdibaja

Re: ]Solved]Routers and Linux

#14 Post by sdibaja »

What model?
Peter E.
Baja California, Mexico.

KBD

Re: ]Solved]Routers and Linux

#15 Post by KBD »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 pmWhat model?
Netgear AC750
https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Router-S ... gear+ac750

But it was about $20 less at my local Walmart. I figure if I didn't like it, or have trouble I have 15 days to return it. But so far so good :)

Return to “General”