POLL : What is your favo(u)rite search engine

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

What search engine do you use most?

Qwant
7%
Google
26%
DuckDuckGo
33%
Ecosia
No votes
Startpage
26%
Other()
9%

Total votes: 43

cyrilus31

POLL : What is your favo(u)rite search engine

#1 Post by cyrilus31 »

Qwant new version just arrived.
For those who do not know, it's a European search engine, whose moto is privacy (they do not use neither store your data). I use it daily and it replaces quite well Google.
I started this poll in french forum, but why not extending the audience : what search engine do you use and why?
Thanks to all participants :happy:
Last edited by cyrilus31 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Qwant, new version

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

You will have much better results if you put "Poll" in the Subject...
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

timkb4cq
Developer

Re: POLL : What is your favo(u)rite search engine

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

While a short test showed that Quant's results were pretty good, it has (for me) one fatal flaw.
When you install it in Firefox, it adds an extension that locks Qwant in as your homepage.
Remove the extension, and it removes Qwant from your search engine list.

That's hijacking behaviour, whether or not it has malicious intent (and there's no evidence there is). I'll keep my home page set where I want it and leave Qwant off my list.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Gaer Boy

#4 Post by Gaer Boy »

Agreed, Tim. One of my main reasons for using Linux is the ability to have my desktop & apps work the way I want.

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX, Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB, 250GB Samsung SSD (GPT), 2x1TB HDD (MBR), MX-21-AHS
Lenovo Thinkpad X220, dual-core i5, 4MB, 120GB Samsung SSD (GPT), MX-21

xali

#5 Post by xali »

timkb4cq wrote:When you install it in Firefox, it adds an extension that locks Qwant in as your homepage.
i don't think there is a need to install it. you can just add it to the search engines section. my homepage is searx but my default search engine is qwant (i made it default manually), but i never installed qwant. why is there a need to install it?

JmaCWQ

#6 Post by JmaCWQ »

DuckDuckGo mostly, then I try StartPage if I can't find what I want with DDG.

PondLife

#7 Post by PondLife »

Just tried Quant, had not heard of it before, search results look OK probably because they are tied in with Microsoft Bing for looking at the parts of the web there own search does not cover. There was no need to install just added to search engines.

Otherwise it’s the same as “JmaCWQ” DDG then StartPage.

timkb4cq
Developer

#8 Post by timkb4cq »

I looked for a way to add it to the Firefox search engines, and the only way I saw was to install it.
Firefox Preferences -> Search doesn't list it, and Find more search engines link in Preferences takes you to the Qwant homepage where it instructs you to install the extension.
The FAQ at the Qwant homepage doesn't list any other way to add it to Firefox either. What am I missing?
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

cyrilus31

#9 Post by cyrilus31 »

Tim, you can choose to install Qwant basic instead of Qwant to just have Qwant as your search engine.

PondLife

#10 Post by PondLife »

Tim

Have not had a search engine install this way before, but if you go to quant.com web site and then click on the Firefox search drop down menu the option to add quant to your search engines is there.

Return to “General”