new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
entropyfoe

new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX

#1 Post by entropyfoe »

The new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX, according to this:
"Of course, what fans of Linux Mint have really been looking forward to is the release of Tara -- version 19 of the operating system. It was supposed to be released by the end of June, and today, it just makes it in under the wire. Yes, Linux fans, you can download Linux Mint 19 "Tara" immediately. You can choose between three desktop environments -- Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce.
https://betanews.com/2018/06/29/linux-m ... mate-xfce/

The most significant aspect of Linux Mint 19 is the new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS base. Tara will receive updates until 2023 -- very impressive. The kernel is at 4.15, and all three desktop environments are being updated too. Mate is now at version 1.2, Cinnamon gets bumped up to 3.8, and Xfce is updated to 4.12"

Impressive? They have to wait for Ubuntu . Xfce 4.12, so, we have 4.12.3 right now, not in a beta, available in June.

Kernel at 4.15 - mx package installer offers antiX and MX kernels, spectre patched, 4.14 and 4.15. Now, not in June.

Of course they also have mate and cinnamon, which have never impressed me or interested me.

The support ins impressive, five years, but on this forum, there are 5 year old system, and 5 year-old knowledgeable people.
Maybe nice, all that Ubuntu LTS, but it seems behind MX, which has that if you want xfce, offers all that now.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

turtlebay777

Re: new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX

#2 Post by turtlebay777 »

I don't think you should knock Mint, it's a different system based on a different base with a different target audience. Mint's target audience is really people who are fed up with MS Windows who are prepared to try out something a bit more refined than bog standard Ubuntu. They mostly need a modern PC with loads of ram and HDD space and the flagship DE suggested to them is Cinnamon. Personally I used Mint for ten years quite happily but I tend to disagree with some of their gurus more outrageous claims, including their absolute hate of programs like Grub customizer (one even claims it breaks the system).

MX (and Antix) is for people with a bit more experience, probably a lower powered machine and who are happier to use Debian.

KBD

#3 Post by KBD »

I don't see it as a competition. I happen to like Mint and MX. Also like both communities as they are among the most friendly, if not the most friendly Linux communities.
Regarding Mint 19 specifically, I beta tested all three releases, but saw Cinnamon was pretty much ready to go and had a big testing base so I focused on MATE and Xfce. MATE had me worried as I was seeing some crazy ram use out of the box, but further updates and it ended up about where it should have been. My only other issue with MATE was the panel icons were screwy if you increased the panel size which seemed tiny by default, but that was fixed early this week with an update--so MATE 19 is pretty sweet right now.
Xfce beta had the most issues, and since some of the same issues showed up on Xubuntu 18.04 release I was not sure they would get fixed by release time. But no fears, ram use on Xfce ended up being just 50mb more on 19 Xfce than on 18 xfce. And the suspend issue which was my major concern was fixed this week.
Very happy with both Xfce4 19 and MATE 19 releases.
I actually dual-boot MX 17 & Mint Xfce 19 on the same machine, so like I said, not a competition. You can enjoy both distros :)

entropyfoe

#4 Post by entropyfoe »

I did not mean to say the new mint is bad. I am thankful for those that responded with first hand experience with the new versions. Sounds good, though I have not much time for distro hopping now.

My trials of mint were long ago when they first overtook Ubuntu on distro watch. I had problems with the installer and partitions, like I never had with Mepis or MX.

My comment was more to say, much of the xfce part of the announcement sounded to be lagging behind what MX had 6-8 months ago.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

penguin

#5 Post by penguin »

Tried or Re Tried , Mint some times ago and I removed it from my laptop. If someone decide to use a Debian Ubuntu distro, closest Debian to be,better is.Ubuntu it is a step away from Debian....imagine Mint that is two steps way. During last weeks a gave e look to some ARCH distro based including ARTIX. The same can be said. Closer ARCH as originator, better is. There are two distros that are close to Stable Debian. MX Linux and Sparky and MX ...simply shine, meanwhile Sparky 32 bit (XFCE) is fastest and lowest on resource, comparing XFCE versions of MX and Sparky.

HessenZone

#6 Post by HessenZone »

entropyfoe wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:06 pm https://betanews.com/2018/06/29/linux-m ... mate-xfce/

The most significant aspect of Linux Mint 19 is the new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS base. Tara will receive updates until 2023 -- very impressive. The kernel is at 4.15, and all three desktop environments are being updated too. Mate is now at version 1.2, Cinnamon gets bumped up to 3.8, and Xfce is updated to 4.12"

Impressive? They have to wait for Ubuntu . Xfce 4.12, so, we have 4.12.3 right now, not in a beta, available in June.

Kernel at 4.15 - mx package installer offers antiX and MX kernels, spectre patched, 4.14 and 4.15. Now, not in June.

Of course they also have mate and cinnamon, which have never impressed me or interested me.
In all fairness, having used Mint XFCE for years myself, I believe it's aside from MX Linux the best distro there is, especially for those switching from Windows or those who are still using older machines. Like it or not, millions of people like their eye-candy and Cinnamon has some very beautiful themes that I wish could be imported into MX. Problem with themes of course is the fact that performance i.e. speed drops, so themes aren't so great for older machines. I've installed Mint for at least 50 or more people and have never had a complaint come back to me. Sure, minor issues here and there, but which OS doesn't have that, including MX.

Not everything is perfect with MX either. For example, context menu functions for Thunar, such as image resize, rotate, on the fly would be awesome. Caja, the Mate File Manager has that. Or how about an instant music file preview, simply by hovering the mouse cursor over a file? For music lovers with thousands upon thousands of songs, that is awesome. Thunar doesn't have that either (Caja does). I also don't care for the fact that MX Tools & MX Tweak contain duplicates of items that are already in the control panel. Personally, I think that's silly & confusing. Keep strictly MX stuff in strictly MX related sections, and everything else in their respective sections. As stated, the themes make a huge difference for millions of people, no kidding. That's an area where I would really like to see MX make some improvements. I find it quite annoying to look for and install themes & mouse cursors which take up just tiny amounts of disk space, just because the developers of MX seem to think that looks aren't important. I happen to like "pretty" Window frames and I absolutely loathe the popular flat look, but that's just me.

My biggest gripe with MX is Thunar. I really wish that I could do more image related tasks with the context menu because I work with images every week. XFCE is XFCE across the board. So whether you're using Mint XFCE or MX Linux with XFCE, once the desktop is configured to ones liking, a user wouldn't even notice the difference anymore - except for the fact that MX Linux is indeed faster. As a matter of fact, my triple boot setup (Mint 18.3 Manjaro MX 17.1) has XFCE on both Mint & MX configured identically, to the point that I can't even tell the difference visually. My Mint setup has a different start/menu button, but that's it. :happy:

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

Artim

#7 Post by Artim »

Looking for a lightweight distro for a very old 32-bit machine, of course there is AntiX! For a total beginner, though, Peppermint has a weird and wonderful mix of LXDE and Xfce stuff, plus some of the cool Mint tools that make it especially beginner friendly. For machines that aren't that old, I'm finding MX to be the most stable, most reliable, and most beginner friendly provided the beginner bothers to read and responsibly maintain it. I especially like that it's totally UNLIKE Windows!

HessenZone

#8 Post by HessenZone »

I installed 32bit MX Linux on an 11 year old machine with a single core 1.73 Ghz processor and couldn't believe the wonderful performance. That 32bit setup actually outperforms several 64bit Windows7 machines that I've worked with in the past 6 months or so, and all of those had dual-core processors too.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

Jerry3904
Administrator

#9 Post by Jerry3904 »

All thanks to antiX!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Serbian

#10 Post by Serbian »

Jerry3904 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:29 am All thanks to antiX!
Nicely :)

Return to “General”