new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
fehlix
Developer

Re: new linux mint, behind in xfce compared to MX

#21 Post by fehlix »

HessenZone wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:33 am Does that include mass-resize as well?
Let me know your typical requirment of "mass resize" of pictures, e.g. picture formats, images types etc. I might provide you with a corresponding custom action for Thunar.
Gigabyte Z77M-D3H, Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 (Quad core), 32GB RAM,
GeForce GTX 770, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB

malspa

#22 Post by malspa »

entropyfoe wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 pmMy comment was more to say, much of the xfce part of the announcement sounded to be lagging behind what MX had 6-8 months ago.
And I guess you could say that MX was lagging behind Debian Stretch (with regards to the Xfce version) for several months, as well, as it took that long for the Stretch-based MX-17 to come out. Interesting, Linux Mint 19 ships with Xfce 4.12.3, according to what's posted at DistroWatch. Same as what's in the Stretch repos. But at the Ubuntu Packages site, I see Xfce 4.12.4 available in the Bionic (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) repos. I don't think any of this is such a big deal, though.

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

There were lots of bugs in Xfce Mint beta. There may have been other considerations as to their choice of what version of Xfce they used. Besides that, Xfce is the least cutting edge of any desktop--which is one reason I love it--so it isn't moving forward in leaps and bounds in a point release or two.

malspa

#24 Post by malspa »

KBD wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 amBesides that, Xfce is the least cutting edge of any desktop--which is one reason I love it--so it isn't moving forward in leaps and bounds in a point release or two.
Yep.

HessenZone

#25 Post by HessenZone »

KBD wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:20 am There were lots of bugs in Xfce Mint beta. There may have been other considerations as to their choice of what version of Xfce they used. Besides that, Xfce is the least cutting edge of any desktop--which is one reason I love it--so it isn't moving forward in leaps and bounds in a point release or two.
Well, I actually disagree with the interpretation of "least cutting edge" because I feel quite the opposite about XFCE. I feel that by making it possible to totally customize just about every aspect of the desktop quickly & easily, from the panel to existing icons, look & feel, transparency, multiple panels which can literally be placed anywhere, individual backgrounds for multiple workspaces, custom main menu with custom app descriptions, etc. etc., that as far as I'm concerned that makes XFCE actually the most cutting edge. Some people might say Cinnamon (Mint flagship desktop) or Unity (Ubuntu flagship desktop) ot KDE and some others might be more cutting edge, but what good is that cutting edge to an individual user if, in the sense & spirit of Linux, that cutting edge can no longer be customized and tweaked to ones liking?
So to me, the sheer freedom that XFCE gives me, is my interpretation of cutting edge.

@Fehlix
Thank you for the offer, but I prefer simple point 'n' click app solutions with functions that I can explain and pass onto others who know very little about computers or next to nothing about Linux. I'm able to achieve with Nomacs what needs to be done, and as someone else pointed out, I can always use Caja as well. No reason to write additional scripts. Thanks anyway.

MX Linux Rocks, in America, in Europa, in Australien, einfach ÜBERALL. :linuxlove:

Pierre

#26 Post by Pierre »

Do Remember that the LinuxMint Project Team is also Fairly Conservative in it's attitude.
- maybe even more than the MX Project Team is. . .
and, surprisingly, the amount of times, that the AX / MX project seems to get recommended to someone with an Old Machine.
:happy:

Not Surprisingly Too - - it's this weeks Review over on DW:
https://www.distrowatch.com/weekly.php? ... 80702#mint
and it Got the Thumbs Up - - No Surprise, there, either.
:cool:

Return to “General”