Convince me to install MX over Ubuntu

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
ekeimaja

Convince me to install MX over Ubuntu

#1 Post by ekeimaja »

So I have now planned many weeks to replace my current Ubuntu with MX 17.1, and everything is ready only to make soft clean with DBAN and then to install MX. But I am concerned what I have read here about possible problems with Nvidia drivers and getting desktop working in dual screen setup even though Xfce has native support for multiple screens. I tried with Live CD to install Nvidia drivers, but installer said that no installable drivers were found (is it even possible to install drivers on live mode?). I also tried to set my screens as they are (DVI main screen which is straight ahead and HDMI second screen at left) but I couldn't be sure if it worked. There was that one solution with selecting screens, disabling another, mirroring it and so on. But if you think, there is no reason to worry, then I will install it.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

Stevo
Developer

Re: Convince me to install MX over Ubuntu

#2 Post by Stevo »

If you have an SD card or USB pendrive you could spare for testing, you could try and set up a Live system with persistence on it, where you should be able to install and test Nvidia drivers. I'm worried about what the installer says about your Nvidia card, though...what exactly is the message it gave, and did it suggest trying stretch-backports?
Last edited by Stevo on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

#3 Post by Richard »

Stevo's suggestion is more appropriate.

Do you have another computer, tablet or other to communicate
in the event that the video does not come up? Or, to try it out on.

Nvidia drivers can be easy or they can take some effort to sort out
and, while possible, depends on your ability to follow directions.
I would advise you to not install MX if you are concerned about your ability
to sort it out with online help. [on your only computer]
Last edited by Richard on Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

ekeimaja

#4 Post by ekeimaja »

I will try Live mode now again and report that error message it gave/gives. Also I will purchase a small HDD for this kind of testings.

ekeimaja

#5 Post by ekeimaja »

It gave now me this kind of errors (sorry for some texts in Finnish) mainly unmet dependencies, missing packages and not marked to be installed.

Jerry3904
Administrator

#6 Post by Jerry3904 »

Try switching repos using MX Repo Manager.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

rasat

#7 Post by rasat »

When changing from one distro to another, keep the previous one. If anything happens, you can always boot and fix. Best solution if /home is in a separate partition, accessed by both distros. In this way, you always have a workable system. Ketulla on aina toinen takaovi. :)

stsoh

#8 Post by stsoh »

why do we need to to convince u? :confused:
r u buying mx-linux? :confused:
it is free, do u know?
coming from many distro(s), have not heard anyone need convincing another, u r the first.
switching from mint, slax, ubuntu, knoppix, puppy, tail,......etc.
i like mx, i stay with mx, no convincing needed. :happy:
MX-17.1_x64 Horizon, G41M-P33 Combo (MS-7592), Pentium E5400 (2706 MHz), 8Gb RAM (984 MT/s),
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics, Realtek PCIe Fast RTL8101/2/6E, PCI Gigabit RTL8169 Ethernets.
Accepted Linux when i found MX-Linux in 2016.

Artim

#9 Post by Artim »

Updates! That's what brought me to MX from an Ubuntu-based distro. MX is Debian Stable with awesome cool tools to make it "friendly" for us mere mortal users. The Ubuntu distros are not nearly as stable. Updates can brick a perfectly good working system. Little to no danger of that with MX. All the simplicity, friendliness, and ease of Xubuntu/LinuxLite/Mint/etc but without the same degree of danger that an update will render it useless. That's why I switched and why I'm staying put.

oops

#10 Post by oops »

Hello,
@ekeimaja .As already said. You invert the question skillfully, you do not have to be convinced because you are free of your choices (like into Democracies) and free of charge (not like into democracies ;-)). This choice belongs to you alone. So trying and seeing by yourself is the best way to do, I think.
Pour les nouveaux utilisateurs: Alt+F1 pour le manuel, ou FAQS, MX MANUEL, et Conseils Debian - Info. système “quick-system-info-mx” (QSI) ... Ici: System: MX-19_x64 & antiX19_x32

Return to “General”