Beating the dead horse named systemd

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Beating the dead horse named systemd

#1 Post by KBD »

I've been playing around with several distros lately and two that stand out in my mind for unbelievably fast booting are MX and AntiX. Years ago when systemd was starting forum wars--which I'm not doing and please let's don't--I didn't really care much either way. It sounded like it was mainly a challenge for those writing scripts and dealing with boot up issues. But it hit me like a hammer on the head when I used Fedora Gnome on a dual-core 4gb machine and systemd-analyze blame showed why it was taking me 3 minutes to boot up. Years ago, before systemd, I could boot up a 2gb machine in no time.
Anyway, here is my report from a fresh Kubuntu install:

ThinkPad-T420:~$ systemd-analyze blame
26.983s dev-sda1.device
17.704s mpd.service
14.099s udisks2.service
13.903s snapd.service
12.217s networkd-dispatcher.service
11.247s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
8.863s apport.service
8.723s apparmor.service
7.997s systemd-journal-flush.service
7.710s ModemManager.service
7.554s systemd-resolved.service
7.491s NetworkManager.service
7.172s alsa-restore.service
6.193s accounts-daemon.service
6.124s wpa_supplicant.service
5.924s avahi-daemon.service
5.923s thermald.service
5.916s pppd-dns.service
5.603s bluetooth.service
5.036s rsyslog.service
4.579s gpu-manager.service
3.367s grub-common.service
2.815s polkit.service
2.786s keyboard-setup.service
2.593s packagekit.service
2.394s tlp.service
2.281s systemd-logind.service
2.060s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
1.882s user@118.service
1.880s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
1.606s systemd-udevd.service
1.373s systemd-sysctl.service
1.361s systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service
1.353s systemd-modules-load.service
1.151s dev-hugepages.mount
1.150s sys-kernel-debug.mount
1.134s systemd-remount-fs.service
1.076s dev-mqueue.mount
(and that is not the worst report or slowest booting machine. dual-core sandybridge with 6gb ram)

skidoo

Re: Beating the dead horse named systemd

#2 Post by skidoo »

pre-installed in antiX15 onward, is a "bootchart" utility.
It is invoked by simply adding bootchart to the bootline parameters on the boot screen.
I don't know whether it's pre-installed in MX Linux. If not, search debian packages for "bootchart".
It produces a millisecond granular waterfall chart of the boot processes; both the duration and the shared memory utilized by each process are charted.

from the antiX / MX wiki:
bootchart
Create /var/log/bootchart.tgz.
Use the program +pybootchartgui to convert this to a .png image to view what happens when the Live system boots.
It is designed to stop recording a few seconds after conky starts.

Return to “General”