Returned to MEPIS (MX) Linux

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Coastie

Returned to MEPIS (MX) Linux

#1 Post by Coastie »

:egyptian: The time has come to come back to MEPIS (MX) Linux after four years using Linux. Back in the dark ages of about 2002 before cable internet, I tried MEPIS (Point & Click Linux) on my own for a little while. Then a guy I met at a LUG who installed Fedora on my computer. I got scared off by updating by phone internet, the Terminal, and Synaptic Package Manager. I gave up and updated to XP. Even now Fedora is beyond my comfort level. I moved to an Apple iMac G5 Desktop in about January 2005 for personal use but had to use my employer’s computer with XP. I left my iMac as my primary computer after no support for PPC by Apple.

Most of this past four plus years was using another distro whose ethos is "Our target audience are Windows users." Since it is about time to reinstall a newer version of that distro, I decided it was time to move up to the distro that says "It is a midweight OS designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint." Creating a custom iso from my test computer with MX 17.1 saved a lot of time tweaking to my liking again on my main computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Coastie on Tue May 29, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32
CPU: Quad core AMD A10-6700
HDD: 1 TB
RAM: 12 GB
Graphics: Integrated Radeon HD Graphics

Left Mac OS X for Linux in January 2014

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: Returned to MEPIS (MX) Linux

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome back!
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

Coastie

#3 Post by Coastie »

Thanks
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32

Artim

#4 Post by Artim »

Hi Coastie! I too have moved up from the same distro ("RandomBoy" on their forums) I find the MX tools to be amazing and powerful, but simple enough for a technophobic user like me. I also take great delight in the fact that MX is rock-stable (as in Debian Stable) and is far less prone to "upstream" updates that brick a perfectly good system.

Also, that whole "aimed at Windows users" thing is a bit of a departure from it's former purpose, which was to work well for newbies on modest hardware. I really don't want my OS to be anything like Windows at all, not another Linux distro that tries to mimic Windows. I was a fanboy for awhile, until that mission apparently changed, and then when a bunch of crippling beta crap from upstream bricked a bunch of users' machines, I urged a safe way to update the distro (here) and was told "no, don't update that way." I avoided the maddening "Grub bug" and several other major problems simply by selectively updating - and suggested the alternate Updater for users that didn't know how to selectively update. With MX, it's never an issue and there's no need for extra outside tools to keep it safe and stable.

Mepis lives on, and it's better than ever!

Adrian
Developer

#5 Post by Adrian »

Hi Coastie, welcome back. I used Arch till the good people over here started the MX project in 2014 (MX-14) then I decided to come back since that looked interesting and started also to work on the Qt tools (starting with the installer and then continued with most of the MX Tools) It's always nice when people say they find them useful, thanks Artim!

Coastie

#6 Post by Coastie »

Thanks guys. I never had any major problems with the "other distro." It was just time to move up.
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32

Coastie

#7 Post by Coastie »

Still loving my MEPIS (sorry MX :duh:). I have been getting the RSS feed starting before I installed MX for daily use on my main computer. There were so many and still are so many posts for help, it delayed my move to MX. Since my 5/24/18 install, I have had no problems.
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32

Artim

#8 Post by Artim »

Indeed! MX-17 has been completely trouble-free for me so far, and updates don't scare the heck out of me anymore!

Coastie

#9 Post by Coastie »

:toast2:
MX-21.1 XFCE
ASUS M32

Return to “General”