Adventures With Windows 10

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Re: Adventures With Windows 10

#31 Post by KBD »

turtlebay777 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 am I wonder if there should be professional courses on how to use GIMP etc?
lol.
I'll answer that: Yes! :) It is both a powerful tool and a pain in the butt, neither intuitive nor user friendly for even basic things like saving file formats. Just making it open by default in a single window would make it more approachable.

KBD

#32 Post by KBD »

Gerson wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 am Today I just made a decision for my HP Pavilion x360 11-n011LA notebook that came with W8.1 x64 and is updated to W10 1804 and dual-boot with MX 17.1
Although I need some programs of my profession that only run on Windows, I am going to place them in VirtualBox with W7 and then I will remove the Windows from my HP and I will leave MX alone.
Why do I do it? I just really like the stability and speed with which MX works, in return Windows is going very slowly and updates are not a big deal. Why do I want a dual-boot if I can do everything with MX? I will use VirtualBox to run Windows programs that have no substitute in GNU / Linux and thus have everything available.
The only thing I will miss are two things: the bluetooth that does not detect it MX (in Windows it also failed) and the tablet mode that I did not find the controllers that perform that function.
Good for you Gerson. It is not easy for some people to completely move from Windows. I was Windows free for about 5 years and did fine without it, now I'm Windows free again after playing around with Windows 10 for a little less than a year and being reminded why I got rid of it to begin with, and now how much worse it is regarding privacy issues, forcing games and other junk on the system, and being completely unreliable with updates.
Edit: Would a bluetooth dongle help? They are dirt cheap and I have used them on computers that did not have bluetooth in the past.

Gerson

#33 Post by Gerson »

KBD wrote: Would a bluetooth dongle help? They are dirt cheap and I have used them on computers that did not have bluetooth in the past.
Thanks but little and nothing use the bluetooth, I do not need just wanted to have everything working, what if I could not is the tablet mode, there is no driver for this team by HP.
No todos ignoramos las mismas cosas. :confused:

turtlebay777

#34 Post by turtlebay777 »

KBD wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 am nor user friendly for even basic things like saving file formats.
Similar to Audacity and some other programs in Linux, instead of 'save', use 'export'.

calinb

#35 Post by calinb »

Gerson wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:50 am Why do I want a dual-boot if I can do everything with MX? I will use VirtualBox to run Windows programs that have no substitute in GNU / Linux and thus have everything available..
I only need Win 10 for tax software. In the past, I've used Virtualbox, QEMU, Parallels, VMWare, and WINE (as another alternative). I still run Virtualbox and WINE on my MX-16 machine. With my new MX-17 laptop, I decided to keep the installed Win 10 crapware/bloatware/spyware (and Windoze is really is S-L-O-W to do much of anything and even S-L-O-W-E-R to update) after resizing the partition much smaller, of course. The advantage of going dual boot is it has proven to be more trouble free for me than any of the other alternatives, which can be difficult to setup and also can periodically require tinkering to fix them after an apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade.

The disk space required for the dual boot Win 10 partition is fixed of course, and about the same size as a static disk image with Virtualbox. Furthermore, I can mount it (NTFS) R/W and just use it as general storage from MX-Linux. I never have a need to run my tax software at the same time as I'm running MX-Linux so this approach works very well for me. In fact, I've kinda come full circle (I dual booted Windows in the early days of Linux, then VMs got really good so I used them, and now I'm back to dual boot again for the reliability and simplicity of it). I'm also amazed how how good WINE has become and how many applications run with it installed (maybe even my tax proggy but I've not tried), but WINE is prone to require tinkering sometimes too.

wulf

#36 Post by wulf »

My experience with windows is 3.1> 95> 98> xp> 7 ultimate> 10 pro. The first three belong to my days at uni with chirping dial-up modems, DOS and word perfect :) The latter three saw the rise of the internet proper, and an increasing number of script kiddies, full blown hackers and back-doors a-plenty, along with more virus than you could shake a stick at. I spent many a year learning the in's and out's of the windows system so I could create a secure machine that functioned just how I wanted it to with windows 7, but some years later, when I built a new pc, I installed a Samsung 960 pro SSD in the new motherboard NVMe slot. Windows 7 didn't like that and refused to recognise it. I eventually got it installed by cloning the system on to the Samsung, and it was probably the most difficult thing I have ever done. Several months later I had a system crash and lost the whole operating system. Rather than go through all that procedure again, I figured I'd best move with the times, so I installed windows 10 and the install was easy. I spent the next six months taking ownership of files, denying permissions and rooting-out covert registry entries, and basically fighting Microsoft for control of my own pc! That's when I installed MX Linux, and wiped Microsoft from the face of the hard drive. I've never looked back. I do sometimes miss the challenge that Microsoft presented, when I would boot-up the machine only to find certain settings had defaulted to their preference, rather than mine, or something new had appeared that I had neither wanted nor asked for, but now I have the challenge of learning Linux, and that is a positive and pleasant task to look forward to..

KBD

#37 Post by KBD »

I wonder which is better, going 'cold turkey' and completely jumping into Linux, or a gradual approach of dual booting and easing into it? I jumped into the deep end of the pool all at once back in 2011 because of my xp computer getting stricken with windows virus' for the 2nd time. I wasn't putting Windows back on that computer so I had to learn Linux fast. I later bought a netbook with Windows on it, and it ran so horribly on Windows that it was an easy choice to remove it. Then 5 years Windows free, and last summer Windows 10 on refurbished laptops until about a week ago when I removed it from the last computer I had Windows on. Luckily I have hardly ever felt the absolute need for Windows over the past 7 years, but I do get where some people need it for one purpose or another, but I am glad I don't :)

wulf

#38 Post by wulf »

@KBD....I guess it depends on the individual?. I'm fortunate that I no longer need Windows for anything in my life, well, with the exception of updates to a Garmin Nuvi sat-nav, but I jolly-off to an ex girlfriends house and updated it on her windows laptop. I really liked windows 7. I thought it was great in it's day. Never felt the need to go with win 8 after reading endless criticisms of it, but win 10 is something else. Not my expectation of what an OS should be in either competency or in spirit, but I suppose in a roundabout sort of way, I owe it a debt of gratitude. If it hadn't been such an obnoxious experience, I might never have landed here, so thanks Microsoft :)

KBD

#39 Post by KBD »

wulf wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:51 pm @KBD....I guess it depends on the individual?. I'm fortunate that I no longer need Windows for anything in my life, well, with the exception of updates to a Garmin Nuvi sat-nav, but I jolly-off to an ex girlfriends house and updated it on her windows laptop. I really liked windows 7. I thought it was great in it's day. Never felt the need to go with win 8 after reading endless criticisms of it, but win 10 is something else. Not my expectation of what an OS should be in either competency or in spirit, but I suppose in a roundabout sort of way, I owe it a debt of gratitude. If it hadn't been such an obnoxious experience, I might never have landed here, so thanks Microsoft :)
It's a nice feeling of freedom to know you have complete control of your computer hardware and software. I found Windows 10 was making me angry and irritated with just about everything they did. Plus it did not need to be that way, they could have been much less obnoxious and I might have stuck around awhile longer, but I'm better off without MS in my life, and as you say, it opened the door for something better :)

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#40 Post by Eadwine Rose »

KBD wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:14 pm I wonder which is better, going 'cold turkey' and completely jumping into Linux, or a gradual approach of dual booting and easing into it? I jumped into the deep end of the pool all at once back in 2011 because of my xp computer getting stricken with windows virus' for the 2nd time. I wasn't putting Windows back on that computer so I had to learn Linux fast. I later bought a netbook with Windows on it, and it ran so horribly on Windows that it was an easy choice to remove it. Then 5 years Windows free, and last summer Windows 10 on refurbished laptops until about a week ago when I removed it from the last computer I had Windows on. Luckily I have hardly ever felt the absolute need for Windows over the past 7 years, but I do get where some people need it for one purpose or another, but I am glad I don't :)
If I had gone cold turkey I would have had a big problem as not all my hardware was compatible at the time, and given no moneeeeees to cover for it, yeah no choice in my case.

I dual boot with a separate harddrive that I can even slide right out of the system at a moment's notice if need be. Basically I use windows for Adobe products, and updating my TomTom :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Return to “General”