Adventures With Windows 10

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
wulf

Re: Adventures With Windows 10

#41 Post by wulf »

@Eadwine Rose. Yes, I can understand that. After years of using Photoshop I just cannot take to Gimp no matter how much I try. I find myself using Pinta which, although it's much more basic, does feel more comfortable and user friendly in it's layout, at least to me..

djmclaws

#42 Post by djmclaws »

When I bought my wife a new ASUS laptop, which of course came with Windows 10 installed, It had mostly trial software that you then had to pay a subscription to continue to use after the first free period. At first I just installed LibreOffice on it and ignored the Office commercials. But later, her machine seemed to more aggressively push advertisements to buy this or that software. I got tired of it and just installed Mint on it. No dual boot. That was a couple of years ago, and she is completely happy with it.

I recently installed MX Linux on my laptop, and it runs noticeably cooler than with Mint. So now we have Mint on hers and MX on mine.

So I guess I live in a house with no Windows ;)

KBD

#43 Post by KBD »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:49 am
If I had gone cold turkey I would have had a big problem as not all my hardware was compatible at the time, and given no moneeeeees to cover for it, yeah no choice in my case.

I dual boot with a separate harddrive that I can even slide right out of the system at a moment's notice if need be. Basically I use windows for Adobe products, and updating my TomTom :)
That makes sense. I think for me it would have been harder if I had just reinstalled Windows I might not have used Linux at all.
I have a Thinkpad with an extra drive stuck in place of the cd/dvd drive, have a hard drive caddy in there. Something like that would be great just to pop in a Windows drive on rare occasions if needed.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#44 Post by Eadwine Rose »

https://www.jj-computer.com/artinfo.php ... %20%201086 <-- got me two of those. One holds the MX drive, the other the windows one. If a new MX comes out I simply slide one of them out, and slide another harddrive in there and install the release on that. When I am tired of it I simply swap things back :) Ideal!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

KBD

#45 Post by KBD »

Eadwine Rose wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 am https://www.jj-computer.com/artinfo.php ... %20%201086 <-- got me two of those. One holds the MX drive, the other the windows one. If a new MX comes out I simply slide one of them out, and slide another harddrive in there and install the release on that. When I am tired of it I simply swap things back :) Ideal!
That is nice. I imagine it is quite handy.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#46 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Very much so. If I intend to do something and want to be SURE that nothing is connected that shouldn't be, I simply slide the drive out a bit. It IS hot swappable, but I always turn the system off when I do that, just to be sure.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

Stevo
Developer

#47 Post by Stevo »

The newer MSI laptop I'm now using for package building supports updating the UEFI BIOS from a file on a USB stick directly from in the BIOS, so it doesn't require Windows at all for that. It also supports updating the EC firmware from a FreeDos Live USB.

Return to “General”