Spectre Next Generation

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
ChrisUK
Qualified MX Guide

Spectre Next Generation

#1 Post by ChrisUK »

I'm guessing not many will be surprised:

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Exclusi ... 40648.html
Chris

MX 18 MX 19 - Manjaro

wulf

Re: Spectre Next Generation

#2 Post by wulf »

That makes for a depressing read...I think this will just rumble on and on. Like the article hinted at, ultimately, the only solution will probably be a newly designed cpu..

Redacted

#3 Post by Redacted »

From that article;
...it seems that for each fixed issue, two others crop up. This is the result of the fact that during the past twenty years, safety considerations have only played second fiddle to performance in processor development
In my opinion, we the users share a huge part of the blame.
In a security forum I was a member of, many threads were spent arguing which browser was faster, which OS booted faster.
Some AVs were hated because their scan took too long.
Even with the Spectre issue, I've seen many people saying they wouldn't apply the patched kernels because of the assumed slowdown.
To an extent, Intel was concentrating on what a number of people wanted - speed.
It doesn't excuse Intel, though.

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#4 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Redacted.. I read this "people not applying patched kernels" like: you wouldn't put a deadbolt on your door because it takes a bit longer then to get into your house than without the lock.

You know you run a risk, but hey.. no one walked into the house ever before, so...

I can understand it from that point of view, but also from those who want a safe system :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

cyrilus31

#5 Post by cyrilus31 »

Redacted wrote:From that article;
...it seems that for each fixed issue, two others crop up. This is the result of the fact that during the past twenty years, safety considerations have only played second fiddle to performance in processor development
In my opinion, we the users share a huge part of the blame.
In a security forum I was a member of, many threads were spent arguing which browser was faster, which OS booted faster.
Some AVs were hated because their scan took too long.
Even with the Spectre issue, I've seen many people saying they wouldn't apply the patched kernels because of the assumed slowdown.
To an extent, Intel was concentrating on what a number of people wanted - speed.
It doesn't excuse Intel, though.
Your reasoning could be applied to so many subjects. Faster, faster and faster no matter what the consequences.

I just watched a video where a so called "AI expert" was complaining how in Europe we are late (and maybe too late) compared to USA and China (GAFAM and BATX) because, I quote : "we hold too closely to our value and ethics". In life, we have to make choices, I simply hope we won't have to regret them.

Redacted

#6 Post by Redacted »

Eadwine Rose wrote: I can understand it from that point of view, but also from those who want a safe system :)
And I'm one of those who wants a safe system - beyond any doubt.
cyrilus31 wrote:
In life, we have to make choices, I simply hope we won't have to regret them.
Agreed.

Return to “General”