What is your preferred way to manage Android device on MX?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
pzkubbzc

What is your preferred way to manage Android device on MX?

#1 Post by pzkubbzc »

New to MX Linux. Any Android user in here?

Jerry3904
Administrator

Re: What is your preferred way to manage Android device on MX?

#2 Post by Jerry3904 »

Welcome to the Forum! Lots of Android users here, and the majority just follows what is described in the Users Manual: plug it in, change to mtp. This will get you details in a heartbeat:

Alt-F1
Ctrl-F
android

Some prefer to use a web-based solution with Air Droid or one of the others that also work well.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

richb
Administrator

#3 Post by richb »

As pointed out there are several options. My preferred method is Dropbox on computer and phone. Gives me full access to all pictures and data files and also serves as a backup for my data without messing with cables or having to continually make transfers for new content. Not for those who have concerns about their data in the cloud.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

clicktician

#4 Post by clicktician »

I tether for network over USB cable.

Now before you pooh pooh that for being dinosauric in a world of phones with WiFi hotspots...
My carrier, T-Mobile, degrades *all* data packets from tethered devices, and prioritizes packets which originate on mobile devices themselves. This even includes WiFi hotspot puck traffic. There is no way to buy your way out of this tethering penalty at any price (I know, I've tried). They reserve the top priorities for mobile period. No exceptions.

So, even tho I pay a large premium for WiFi tethering, my service often becomes unusable in some areas from 10am - 2pm, as my business communications are de-prioritized in favor of teenagers watching Facebook videos.

I have an Android app that, when connected over USB or Bluetooth to my MX notebook, makes all my laptop traffic appear to originate on my phone and proxies its packet priority. Yes, there is still congestion during peak hours, but at least I have a fighting chance of getting work done at the same network priority as those urgently looking for love on Tinder all day. Lol.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

pzkubbzc

#5 Post by pzkubbzc »

richb wrote:As pointed out there are several options. My preferred method is Dropbox on computer and phone. Gives me full access to all pictures and data files and also serves as a backup for my data without messing with cables or having to continually make transfers for new content. Not for those who have concerns about their data in the cloud.
How about the contacts and messages?

richb
Administrator

#6 Post by richb »

pzkubbzc wrote:
richb wrote:As pointed out there are several options. My preferred method is Dropbox on computer and phone. Gives me full access to all pictures and data files and also serves as a backup for my data without messing with cables or having to continually make transfers for new content. Not for those who have concerns about their data in the cloud.
I use Gmail for email so they sync automatically. For text I use Pushbullet so they are also synced when on my home wifi.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Vaserpas

#7 Post by Vaserpas »

pzkubbzc wrote:
richb wrote:As pointed out there are several options on here. My preferred method is Dropbox on computer and phone. Gives me full access to all pictures and data files and also serves as a backup for my data without messing with cables or having to continually make transfers for new content. Not for those who have concerns about their data in the cloud.
Create a folder on your computer.you can backup contacts and messages on it , and you are able to manage them ,

malspa

#8 Post by malspa »

Jerry3904 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:06 amLots of Android users here, and the majority just follows what is described in the Users Manual: plug it in, change to mtp.
For users who simply want to access files on the Android phone via USB cable, I think all that's really needed is to make sure that gvfs-backends is installed. And I think MX comes with that package, right? I added that in Stretch (Xfce), and all I have to do when I connect my phone is open Thunar and make sure the phone is unlocked. I don't have mtp-tools installed. I guess YMMV depending on the phone and the Android version, though.

Adrian
Developer

#9 Post by Adrian »

I never connect my phone with the cable, pictures are saved automatically with Google Pictures, if I wanted to do it without the Google service I could use something like Syncthing.
I use Pushbullet and works OK for me, but it's not something that I really need... although it's convenient to send SMSs from the computer (that used to stop working from time to time, but recently it works pretty smoothly).

richb
Administrator

#10 Post by richb »

Adrian wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm I never connect my phone with the cable, pictures are saved automatically with Google Pictures, if I wanted to do it without the Google service I could use something like Syncthing.
I use Pushbullet and works OK for me, but it's not something that I really need... although it's convenient to send SMSs from the computer (that used to stop working from time to time, but recently it works pretty smoothly).
I do the same with Google Pictures and also use Pushbullet. I also use Dropbox which saves to Camera Uploads.
Forum Rules

richb Administrator

Return to “General”