SSDs as backup devices

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
whbr

SSDs as backup devices

#1 Post by whbr »

I need to replace the external HDD I use to backup my /home and DATA and was investigating SSD drives. Having been burned a few times by HDDs going bad the idea of a solid state device is intriguing. My newest laptop has one and SSDs seem to be the future. That said I've encountered a few reviews from the professional punditry (some as recent as 2018) claiming SSDs are not good backup devices. They give several reasons. One is that data can just disappear (the drive can be reformatted and used again but the data is gone), the other that SSDs can only be written to a finite number of times (and they don't give that number so there is no way to tell if this is significant or not.) I don't know what actual technology SSDs use but intuitively I would think it would be like other solid state memory devices and I have no experience with those memory devices failing. Anyway, I always found you all experienced and knowledgeable about things so thought I would ask if anyone has any insights into this. I don't need the device to be portable, it will live on my desk so that isn't an issue. Speed isn't a huge issue for me as any device is faster than I am. I'm not a bargain hunter and can afford to buy whatever I decide I want. But reliability is important and the lower power consumption of SSDs is a plus. Thanks, Mark
Dell Inspiron 15, series 5000
MX-16.1
DM KDE 4.14.2

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: SSDs as backup devices

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

SSD reliability is generally considered better than spinning drives these days. However, the big advantage of SSD's are their speed, and you say you don't need that, so why bother? SSD's also tend to fail catastrophically, without warning, and with no way of recovering data.

For the cost of a high-capacity SSD, you could buy two spinners, and alternate their use, such that you would only lose a small part of your data if your main drive and one of the backups failed.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

entropyfoe

#3 Post by entropyfoe »

I prefer SSDs for live data storage and rotating drives for powered off storage (back-ups).

This policy splits data to devices where data security plays to the drives strong points.

SSDs do have a powered off retention spec, and it is not infinite. [It depends on the use of the drive and temperature, a heavily used drive run hot has shorter data retention) The topic is some-what controversial...and a powered off drive will NOT store data indefinitely.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/th ... -retention
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29079 ... ta-powered
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2921590 ... ility.html

A rotating hard drive, degrades and risks your data when powered on and spinning.
When the power is off, and not spinning, the data life is virtually unlimited. I have internal rotating drives with a key switch to keep them powered off when not in use for backing up the SSD. That way they are protected against wear, power surges, accidental deletion, malware. (RAWPOD = Redundant Array of Powered Off Disks - a play on RAID)

So, I use SSD for my working drives, and rotating drives, powered off for my back-ups. Use each for what it is best at.
Last edited by entropyfoe on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

richb
Administrator

#4 Post by richb »

@entropyfoe

I found your post very useful and I learned something. Thank you.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

uncle mark

#5 Post by uncle mark »

On externals, it's usually the electronics that fail, not the drive itself.

I'd use a NAS rated HDD and a USB dock.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

cyrilus31

#6 Post by cyrilus31 »

whbr wrote:. They give several reasons. One is that data can just disappear (the drive can be reformatted and used again but the data is gone)
It depends on storage temperatures and how often data is written. If you backup data once every few months, I would choose hdd over ssd.

https://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Alvin_Cox%20[Compatibility%20Mode]_0.pdf

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#7 Post by Eadwine Rose »

What I do as well is autobackup to the cloud for the really important stuff. In my case Mega.nz

Saved my hiney once, not too long ago!
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

KBD

#8 Post by KBD »

Eadwine Rose wrote:What I do as well is autobackup to the cloud for the really important stuff. In my case Mega.nz

Saved my hiney once, not too long ago!
I also back up in the cloud. You could have 10 backups in your house but if it is damaged by fire or water those back ups are useless. If one does not like the idea of backing up in the cloud, either ask a friend or relative to hold a copy or get a safe deposit box.

Mauser

#9 Post by Mauser »

chrispop99 wrote:SSD reliability is generally considered better than spinning drives these days. However, the big advantage of SSD's are their speed, and you say you don't need that, so why bother? SSD's also tend to fail catastrophically, without warning, and with no way of recovering data.

For the cost of a high-capacity SSD, you could buy two spinners, and alternate their use, such that you would only lose a small part of your data if your main drive and one of the backups failed.

Chris
Actually an SSD is over 8 times the price of a HDD and good luck finding large SDDs.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

Krissharm

#10 Post by Krissharm »

entropyfoe wrote:I prefer SSDs for live data storage and rotating drives for powered off storage (back-ups).

This policy splits data to devices where data security plays to the drives strong points.

SSDs do have a powered off retention spec, and it is not infinite. [It depends on the use of the drive and temperature, a heavily used drive run hot has shorter data retention) The topic is some-what controversial...and a powered off drive will NOT store data indefinitely.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/th ... -retention
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29079 ... ta-powered
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2921590 ... ility.html

A rotating hard drive, degrades and risks your data when powered on and spinning.
When the power is off, and not spinning, the data life is virtually unlimited. I have internal rotating drives with a key switch to keep them powered off when not in use for backing up the SSD. That way they are protected against wear, power surges, accidental deletion, malware. (RAWPOD = Redundant Array of Powered Off Disks - a play on RAID)

So, I use SSD for my working drives, and rotating drives, powered off for my back-ups. Use each for what it is best at.
Informative and good post - thank you.
I tend to do the same, SSD in the computer to keep things speedy, then backup on a large old fashioned spinner!
Primary HP Omen 15-ax009na, i5-6300HQ+NVIDIA GTX 950 Running MX17 64 bit.
Secondary Thinkpad x220 12GB ssd msata & ssd sata drive MX17 64 bit
Light child duties Thinkpad R51 MX17/Windows XP 32bit with forcepae and IDE to SATA + Kingston SSD.

Return to “General”