Ads and privacy problems likely to get worse with other operating systems...

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
KBD

Ads and privacy problems likely to get worse with other operating systems...

#1 Post by KBD »

Which will be good for Linux as people wake up to the reality that They are the product being sold.
Here is a recent issue with Windows 10 showing ads in its OS:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... rtisement/
I think the recent Facebook furor and people taking a harder look at Google and privacy also offers the opportunity to educate people about the freedom Linux offers and the restoration of privacy by default using Linux and other free software like Firefox and search engines like Duckduckgo.
Would be interested in your thoughts about what the future may hold for Linux.

Mauser

Re: Ads and privacy problems likely to get worse with other operating systems...

#2 Post by Mauser »

While this would be good for Linux, don't expect for people to come in droves to Linux because of what P.T. Barnum said holds true.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

uncle mark

Re: Ads and privacy problems likely to get worse with other operating systems...

#3 Post by uncle mark »

Would be interested in your thoughts about what the future may hold for Linux.
Nothing will change. People have had loads of incentives to ditch MSFT and haven't. They only way any headway will ever be made is if large enterprises get fed up and make the transition, and if OEMs install and support some Linux. The odds of that happening are roughly equal to me waking up tomorrow with a full head of hair.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

wulf

#4 Post by wulf »

I like this guy's solution....
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/0 ... rmeasures/
As for the future of Linux, I think there is a steady trickle of people coming over, but uncle mark makes the valid point with regard to large enterprises..

KBD

#5 Post by KBD »

I am probably too optimistic, but would really like to think people are waking up to the serious threat these online monopolies and operating systems geared toward info gathering can do to them.
Studies have proven changing Internet search results can cause a 10% voting shift in an election. That is an incredible amount of power. Some of these companies now have dossiers on people that would make J. Edgar Hoover's dossiers look like a joke. Google and Facebook know more about some people than anyone but God :(
There are alternatives, hopefully people wake up and see that. Linux can be a big part of helping to turn things around.

KBD

#6 Post by KBD »

wulf wrote:I like this guy's solution....
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/0 ... rmeasures/
As for the future of Linux, I think there is a steady trickle of people coming over, but uncle mark makes the valid point with regard to large enterprises..
The article points out how invasive the tracking is. I'm using Ublock Origin, Privacy Badger, Duckduckgo Privacy Essentials, and Https Everywhere on Firefox and who knows if even all that is stopping every tracker and protection from problem sites.
Enterprise is surprising because they of all people have much to lose if all this info gathering done on them gets into the wrong hands. Years ago I thought Chromebooks in schools was great because of the MS stranglehold and over-priced iPads. But now it looks like Google has groomed these kids to stay inside the Alphabet ecosystem from cradle to grave.

Return to “General”