what was the first linux distro you used

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper

Re: what was the first linux distro you used

#21 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Like Uncle Mark, I started with Ubuntu, vsn 6 from memory. Joined the local LUG a few years later and was converted to Mepis by m-pav. Never regretted that
change and logically moved on to MX. Years before this, I had a crash introduction to IT when in 1963 (working as a Tech Instructor) was told to prepare a training course on basic digital techniques and solid state devices for staff who would soon be maintaining a very new transistorized weather balloon tracking radar in NZ and the South Pacific. The job developed into setting up a small video production unit which made training videos for Gov't staff on subjects varying from programming in Cobol and Fortran to the design of highway systems using a application package from MIT. A change of job a few years before retirement into the film and video industry with computerized control of processing linked to Apple II's.
Personally, I started programming 50 odd years ago, in machine language using a small board computer based around an Intel 8085. Progressed to a Sanyo PC running DOS, spending most time programming in Turbo Pascal. Upgraded to a 286 then 386 and worked through the MS Windows variations as far as XP working in Delphi developing databases. These days, MX is 95% of my IT time.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

PhantomTramp

#22 Post by PhantomTramp »

My first Linux was Caldera's Open Linux eDesktop 2.4. It came with Star Office, a Netscape browser, Flash and KDE. It also came with an excellent book.

I think that's how I wound up with Mepis. I liked a polished KDE distro and Warren's came as close to what I was used to than anybody else.

Now I'm really liking MX Linux and how it runs on my aging hardware.

Thanks,

The Tramp

KBD

#23 Post by KBD »

uncle mark wrote:M11 is still my daily driver. Haven't found anything I like better. And I've tried.
Can't say I blame you. M11 was just about perfect :)

timkb4cq
Developer

#24 Post by timkb4cq »

Gordon Cooper wrote:Personally, I started programming 50 odd years ago, in machine language using a small board computer based around an Intel 8085. Progressed to a Sanyo PC running DOS, spending most time programming in Turbo Pascal.
Ah, memories. I started programming 45 years ago - Basic on PDP8 at high school, then Fortran Cobol & assembler on IBM 1130.
The first program I got paid for was in Turbo Pascal. It converted a proprietary property management program output into Symbolic Link format so it could be loaded as a Lotus Symphony spreadsheet on a Tandy 2000 (that was the PC-XT clone that was designed before the XT was released and so wasn't quite compatible, but it was nearly 50% faster). Good times!
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

Earl57

#25 Post by Earl57 »

I played around with Mandrake with limited success before I found Mepis 3.4. Here was a Linux that booted live, everything actually worked without spending hours searching for drivers, had all the software preinstalled that I needed to be productive at work(including Planner, which I still use). Been using Mepis ever since.I probably used Pro Mepis longer than any. I skipped the Ubuntu-based version(6.0 I think), 8.0 was my all-time favorite. Am currently using M12, Wheezy-based on this machine, Jessie-based on my others. No windows except w7 starter on a eeepc 1025c that triple boots with M12 and MX-17 January edition. I'm a KDE fan, so MX didn't really interest me too much at first. I have used the MX16 KDE respin by some community members and like it, installing it on other machines for owners that prefer KDE. MX keeps getting better, though, and MX17 really excites me!

i_ri

#26 Post by i_ri »

hello frenzy67 and hello everyone
debian, xandros, mepis
my first persistent live usb was slackware(kde) , xubuntu persistent ,then mx-14 live... ... ... ...

Gordon Cooper

#27 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Slightly OT.

@Tim. 50 years ago I was studying standard Pascal by correspondence but using Turbo Pascal for my own interests. Much preferred Turbo and now still still would rather use it than continue my hassle to properly understand the Free Pascal/Lazarus package. Delphi was OK but became too danged expensive for hobbyists.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

mrfebruary

#28 Post by mrfebruary »

In 2003, I found a Linux-focused magazine in a local bookshop that had a complimentary CD of something called "Simply Mepis 3.4.3". I had heard of Debian by then. But I had no idea of how to obtain it. The CD booted to...OMG...a live system! I thought that was magic! Then I slowly learned about "dual booting", and much later I took the complete plunge and did a clean install. For my personal use I've never looked back.
1 HP Probook 6550b, Intel Core i5 M 540 3747.6MB, 4.10.5-antix.3-amd64-smp x86_64, MX-17_x64 Horizon
2 Latitude 1300, Pentium M 2048MB DDR, Intel Mobile 915G, BCM4401-B0, 2.6.32-1-mepis-smp i686, Trinity DE 3.5.12 MEPIS 8.5 Lenny

namida12

#29 Post by namida12 »

I build a new system for MS Vista, could not keep it running, new install of vista every 2 weeks. Was on a forum called "702" someone suggested I should try Linux.

They gave me several distro's to download. I burned live cd media, and only Mepis 6 booted and recognise my video card. I had no sound and and that was solved by a helpful Mepis user on the forum. With Mepis 6 installed and working I have basically stayed with both AntiX, and MX after Mepis. I have ventured out occasionally trying a few other distros, on several occasions, once seriously when Mepis was not being finalised,

There are many that helped me in the early days, and when I tried Antix and found it a difficult switch from Mepis. I went to MX after that was released, and then recently returned to AntiX on a new Ryzen 1500X build. I have 4 computer systems in living room, with no TV set. 2 run MX, 1 runs the Ryzen with Antix-17, and I have a Mepis beta that has not been connected to the internet for years. The Mepis computer is connected to an older 720 flat screen TV that seldom gets used. Mepis system is turned on when company is visiting and wants to watch a DVD movie on the large 40 inch screen.

My lady watches Japanese Video and the News on her MX system. She plays with facebook games @ other times. MX and AntiX systems provide us with the News, and entertainment, and information and we survive without a $150 Cable TV connection.

CaptainKirk

#30 Post by CaptainKirk »

Caldera, followed by RedHat, then Mepis in its various manifestations.
Chris
ASUS A88XM-Av; Dual core AMD A6-5400K APU, Radeon HD Graphics; 8 Gb RAM; 250 Gb, 320 Gb, 2 Tb, 650 Gb HDD; 250 Gb SSD
MX-19.1 64-Bit with XFCE4; MX-17 64-Bit with XFCE4

Toshiba Satellite R-10 101 laptop;
MX-19 32-Bit non-PAE XFCE4

Return to “General”