what was the first linux distro you used

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
kmathern
Developer

Re: what was the first linux distro you used

#41 Post by kmathern »

richb wrote:I believe it was Mepis 2003.10, an October release.
I think that was the first Mepis version I tried too. I first read or heard about it in early 2004. It was the one I started getting an understanding about how things linux related worked. The Mepislovers forum that CBlue (Donna?) set up around that time also helped me learn a lot about linux.

Siles

Re: what was the first linux dI did nothing usefull istro you used

#42 Post by Siles »

The first distro I used was Coral Linux. It did nothing useful for me so I played around for a while and then dropped it. One day wandering through Barnes and Nobel I found a new book "Point and Click Linux" by Robin Miller (SimplyMepis). It even had a live bootable CD. So, I booted it a few times )and then installed it as a dual boot with Windows.

Pretty soon I found I was using it more and Windows less so I eventually deleted all the MS software and even continued for a while to write my Windows monthly column for User Groups on it. No MS tax.

Since then I have stayed with Mepis and then MX, I have a completely Updated MX 17.1 and my wife has MX 16. Never really seriously tried other distros as my needs were always met by Mepis. AND it JUST WORKS.

Siles
Siles
Registered Mepis User 505527
Dell Precision M6400
16GB memory
MX16.1
Dell Inspiration 1720
4GB memory
MX16.1

Dieselrider

#43 Post by Dieselrider »

My first time was Mepis 6. Windows was all I knew. We had purchased a computer from a acquaintance who turned out to be a shyster and had put pirated software on the system. We were unaware of this and didn't find out for a few years. The system was slowing down and I ran C cleaner on the system. It removed whatever bypass he had put on the system and I started getting pop ups from Windows. Apparently he had done this to several others and they too started having issues. Not feeling like buying something I figured we thought we had, I started looking for alternatives.

Found Mepis and had a heck of a time learning a new system but, I am so glad I stuck it out and that Warren and the folks on here were so patient. I have played with a coupe other distros (Puppy, DSL and Mint) but this distro just fits.

I remember the 1st computer we had was an old 8088 (IBM or Intel)? Had an 80 MB hard drive and everything was DOS.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-19 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

arjaybe

#44 Post by arjaybe »

I tried a few late last century, notably Red Hat and Debian. In 2001 I installed Libranet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libranet When that folded (RIP) I came to MEPIS in 2003. I always have a few different distros installed, but I'm always using this one.
Green Comet
Space particles.

NGIB

#45 Post by NGIB »

Started with Ubuntu in the mid-2000s and looked at just about everything. I've spent a lot of time with Buntu 16.04 (a heavily modified Lubuntu with XFCE), PCLinuxOS, Manjaro, and of course MX. Linux was just a hobby and a toy until Win 10 - then it became a necessity to find a distro that meets my and my families needs. I still dual boot with Win 7 as there are a few things I need Windows for (Turbotax is the biggie). Right now MX is my daily driver but I will continue to look at others...
Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid...

jbMacAZ

#46 Post by jbMacAZ »

My first linux was the Knopix liveCD back in the 2000's. I got it running well enough to discover Frozen Bubble but then set it aside. It wasn't until 3 years ago, that I installed Ubuntu 15, which lasted about 6 weeks until I upgraded to Mint. At the time I didn't realize that Mint was ubuntu 14 based! This time I was hooked (thanks Windows 8.1) Eventually, I got tired of stale packages, so ...
MX-18 on Asus T100CHI (z3775 Intel baytrail) mixed-mode 32 bit UEFI, 64 bit OS
Dell 3250 Inspiron desktop, i5-6400, 64 bit OS

j2mcgreg
Global Moderator

#47 Post by j2mcgreg »

Started with Red Hat in 1996 but it wasn’t stable enough on my rig to be usable. Moved to Calera in 97-98 and it worked fairly well, but updates became few and far between and then non-existant. I then alternated between Mandrake and Suse between 1999 and 2006. Mid 2006 I switched to Ubuntu for about a year but back then something was always broken and then never fixed in the next release (or replaced with another ‘cutting edge’ application). In 2007 I switched to Mepis and I have been here ever since.
HP 15; ryzen 3 5300U APU; 500 Gb SSD; 8GB ram
Aspire V5-571; CPU Intel I3; 500 GB SSD; Intel 2nd Gen Graphics; 8 GB Ram
Aspire XC-866; i3-9100; UHD 630; 8 GB ram; 1TB HDD

In Linux, newer isn't always better. The best solution is the one that works.

k_sz

#48 Post by k_sz »

• The very first GNU/Linux system i've seen was a Slackware circa 1995 in Sophia Antipolis (University of Sciences in Nice) ;
  • the first i've used (mainly as a tool to recover data from Microsoft partitions, beside UBCD and CG's testdisk) was Knoppix in 2002 (my fist personal computer ^^) then its defunct french version (Kaella) that's the way i've discovered the delicious anxiety of messing with consoles & parted - booting from a CD was a kind of magic ! I remember people being afraid of a alleged disparition of their beloved M$ OS (me included, at first);
  • the first i've installed was Ubuntu in 2005 (i was working in a theater and well... among other stuff, i was in charge of the easy technical maintenance which included OS (re)installation, the theater had no money to buy M$ licences so i had to look for Windows XP's best "unofficially modified" editions... I was fed up with installing this warez so i tried Linux propaganda there but no success, especially because of - loafers best argument - the "differences of ergonomy between OpenOffice's Calc & Writer and M$'s Excel & Word").
> Desktop : AMD 64 bits (unknowned monocore model :P looking for an AM2+ 4cores Phenom) | RAM 4Go DDR2 | MX@daily updates, sudo apt dist-upgrade
> Laptop x2 : WIP obsolescence and "old" batteries prices have killed my project

LnoyBoy

#49 Post by LnoyBoy »

For me, it was SimplyMepis from the point&click linux book.

But I had crappy dial-up, and the debian repos were all messed up at the time, so I would wait hours for updates that broke my system.

It's a wonder I didn't give up on Linux.

Ubuntu would mail you free disks at that time, so I gave it a try. It was a completely different experience using the ubuntu repos.

I came back to Mepis when Warren switched to the unbuntu repos, and have been with Mepis/MX/Antix ever since.

ian.d.brunton

#50 Post by ian.d.brunton »

For a summer job in 1998 I had to learn to telnet into a Linux server and edit homepages with vim. I don't know what distro it was. I think it was shortly after that that I tried out Red Hat on my own computer. It wasn't very easy at that point (and I was young enough to be impatient about it). I think it was in 2009 that I tried Ubuntu, and that got me into Linux full-time ever since then, and I've distro-hopped several times (openSUSE, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, and now MX).

Return to “General”