what was the first linux distro you used

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
oldhoghead

Re: what was the first linux distro you used

#61 Post by oldhoghead »

yellow dog, knoppix, dsl, puppy, mepis, simplymepis, mepis-lite, and finally stuck with anitx. I tried a bunch of them at one time or another, mint, debian, suse, slack, Mandriva, sidux, buntu flavors. Every once and while I'll boot into Windows 7 for a laugh and reminder. :snail:

cheers,
ohh
Laptop Toshiba Satellite A205-S4777
Desktop iMac 5,1 V 1.0

bwhawk

#62 Post by bwhawk »

My first was Linux Mint Debian with XFCE. When the XFCE version was dropped, I switched to SolydXK which I used until fairly recently. A lot of the SolydXK-specific tools started not working on my (rather old) system, so I was looking for other distributions. I read a positive review of MX Linux on DistroWatch. It sounded good, and I really liked the documentation. I've been using it a couple of weeks now, and no regrets!

bigbenaugust

#63 Post by bigbenaugust »

RH 5.2, Winter break 1997/98. A Word macro virus ate a 20+ page lab report and I was angry. I was also very enamored with the Suns, NeXTs, and AIX machines I worked with at school (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo). Installed RedHat, joined the LUG, became a student sysadmin, got my first IT job out of school (ended up at Sun) from a recruiter who showed up to the LUG. So much for that engineering career. ;)

Distros since then... there was a RH phase, a Mandrake phase, Slackware, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Fedora, Vector, Debian, CrunchBang, Arch, Mint Debian Edition, OpenSUSE, back to Arch, Ubuntu, and Debian, BunsenLabs, and currently MX, Raspbian, and BunsenLabs with one Ubuntu MATE machine with iffy hardware.
--Ben

manzana32

#64 Post by manzana32 »

Wow! ancient linux users here.

In 2005 my family had a powerful PC (an AMD 1.8GHz with 1Gb if I remember well) and my young brother usually messed Windows XP up. I got tired of formatting each 2-3 moths, then I decided to try Ubuntu 5.04. It survived for a year! but he finally destroyed it. :frustrated:
However, after that I bought my PC and moved to many other distros.
Manzana
--
Laptop: MX 17.1 | i7-4702MQ | 16Gb RAM | Nvidia GTX 760M | 120Gb + 256Gb SSD | 1Tb HDD
Netbook: Lubuntu 16.04 | Atom 1.5GHz | 2Gb RAM | 320Gb HDD

MarcM

#65 Post by MarcM »

An Ubuntu, 1997, for interests' sake. Hopped through quite a few, settled on Xubuntu with DockbarX for several years. Moved to MX17-1 recently, happy so far.

mbooyzen

#66 Post by mbooyzen »

My first was suse 6 if I remember correctly, in the early 2000's. Got the cd's from a friend. Used that and broke it a few times. Never had internet so I had no reference. Then win xp for a year or so until I got a copy of Ubuntu, I think it was 5.10. stayed with Ubuntu (mostly ultimate edition) for a long time, but since I had no internet I seldom updated, and when I did, bad things happened. I have internet now and installed Ubuntu mate 17.10 in the beginning of the year. Some patches and workarounds and all was good for a while. I had a bit of issues with systemD and was looking for something more stable. I downloaded centOS and arch, both in virtual box to get a feel for them. I guess Debian packages was what convinced me to stay on the Debian route. Haven't used anything other than apt for years, never really used rpm's as I hadn't had internet. So while looking for Debian download I somehow saw good things about MX. Read up on MX and decided to give it a go. My first MX is my current 17.1. I am yet to see an issue, and the window manager is somehow growing on me(although I placed everything in the same spot it was on gnome2). So I'm 2months on MX and not seeing a reason to try something else.
MX 21.3 KDE
Intel i5 8400, 16GB ram, Nvidia GTX-1050.

karieho

#67 Post by karieho »

Started with Red Hat 4.2 in 1997. Then Caldera OpenLinux, Madrake, Mepis... For a while I used also Best Linux, LBA-Linux and SOT linux. They were the only Finnish distributions .

clicktician

#68 Post by clicktician »

MarcM wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:52 pm An Ubuntu, 1997, for interests' sake. Hopped through quite a few, settled on Xubuntu with DockbarX for several years. Moved to MX17-1 recently, happy so far.
Maybe 2007? Or maybe it was Redhat or Suse that you used back then. I think Shuttleworth created his foundation in 2001, and Ubuntu was first released in 2004. The X,K,L variants came later.
Son, someday all this will belong to your ex wife.

ekeimaja

#69 Post by ekeimaja »

It was Edubuntu in 2005 or 2006 in my primary school. After that some short testings with Ubuntu and Fedora. Now I've been using Ubuntu and Debian, but I will replace Ubuntu with MX soon.
Desktop: AMD 3700X, 32 Gb RAM, RX 5700XT (MX 23.1)
Laptops: Juno Nyx 15 v1, Intel i5-10210U, 16Gb RAM (MX 21.2)
Asus Eee 1005P, Intel Atom N450, 2 Gb RAM, Intel GMA3150 (MX 21.2)

PondLife

#70 Post by PondLife »

Ubuntu 9.10 onward until Unity appeared > SalineOS (Debian+xfce distro) until developer packed it in > Crunchbang until developer packed it in (although Bunsen Labs Helium is now back on an old laptop) > MX14 onward.

Return to “General”