Recommendations for a "FireWire (= IEEE 1394) male to USB female" adapter?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
MX-16_fan

Recommendations for a "FireWire (= IEEE 1394) male to USB female" adapter?

#1 Post by MX-16_fan »

@all:

I have two small FireWire connectors built into my laptop, which I rarely use.

Since the machine has two USB ports only, it would be nice to have a "FireWire male to USB female adapter".

There are a few of those on the market. I guess the ones that come as a cable are preferable (otherwise you might break the conector).

Anyone of you ever tested any of those on a Linux-based system?

Greetings, and a nice weekend to all of you, Joe

NevilsStation

Re: Recommendations for a "FireWire (= IEEE 1394) male to USB female" adapter?

#2 Post by NevilsStation »

Did you hear back privately? I'm thinking of linking two laptops via the Firewire/1394 ports, to sync them, but don't know if MX-17 supports those ports properly.

Here's what the Microsoft version of windows does:
Since there's no IP address-issuing DHCP server on the 1394 network, the connection will be automatically configured via APIA (Automatic Private Internet Addressing) and eventually be given addresses in the reserved 169.254 subnet (this process can take up to a minute). Once connected, you can check the address on each system with IPCONFIG (WINIPCFG on Windows Me), and use PING to test connectivity between them. If you prefer to use specific IP addresses you can do that, too. Just configure the 1394 connection in Windows as you would an Ethernet one.
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

NevilsStation

Re: Recommendations for a "FireWire (= IEEE 1394) male to USB female" adapter?

#3 Post by NevilsStation »

Just spotted this in System Profiler ...

Firewire is
Ricoh R5C832 PCIe IEEE 1394 Controller
Bus, device, function 10,0,3
IRQ 19
Kernel Module firewire_ohci
Custom-built PC w/i7 CPU running MX-16.

Return to “General”