What's the meaning behind the codenames for MX and antiX?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Raymzap

Re: What's the meaning behind the codenames for MX and antiX?

#11 Post by Raymzap »

dolphin_oracle wrote:
Raymzap wrote:
Ok. I guess that's the prerogative of anti.

I agree - I think politics should be steered clear of as much as possible in forums.

I prefer the MX naming system. :happy:
BTW - would it be possible to suggest future codenames for MX?

By all means! Fair warning...my name suggestions are usually thrown out LOL :smiley2:
The previous MX codename was also excellent - 'Metamorphosis' - that word always makes me think of the Incredible Hulk TV series with Bill Bixby. :-)

Where/who do I send codename suggestions to?
GNU/Linux User #470660

Linus Torvalds: "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."

Adrian
Developer

#12 Post by Adrian »

Here's a good place as any to discuss the name, not sure if we are going to do a codename for the point release (we'll release soon an MX-17.1 update with kernel patched for Meltdown).

MX<3

#13 Post by MX<3 »

Adrian wrote:Here's a good place as any to discuss the name, not sure if we are going to do a codename for the point release (we'll release soon an MX-17.1 update with kernel patched for Meltdown).

Sweet. I want in on this. The users choosing a codename? I like it.

MX 18 codename: 'Adulthood'

Works better in Europe than America though I guess...

How about: - 'Hypercycle' = may refer to: Hypercycle (chemistry), a kind of reaction network prominent in a theory of the self-organization of matter.
Hypercycles are claimed as a possible evolutionary precursor to living cells. They are an attempt to show how life can originate by natural process.
Hypercycles are a principle of natural selforganization. (Sounds like a Linux Distro to me :happy: )

Or maybe: - 'Cosmos' = The Cosmos is the universe regarded as a complex and orderly system; the opposite of chaos.

Or maybe: - 'Proton' = A proton is composed of 3 quarks and the gluons that bind them together, and has a lifetime at least 20 orders of magnitude longer than the age of the universe. (So will MX ;) )

Anyone else got ideas? I'd love to name an MX Distribution...
My Computer
MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU
2x 8GB DDR4 2666 Memory Modules
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060Ti Grfx Card
M.2 x1 @500GB HDD x1 @ 2TB

azrielle

#14 Post by azrielle »

I am partial to a bastardized spelling of the Swedish word for Dragon--
'Drakken' to be exact. And of course my own handle, 'Azriel', the Semitic name for, essentially, the Grim Reaper (Angel of Death, e.g. MX the Ubuntu killer!).
Lenovo T430 i5/3320m 8GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 180GB SSD/128GB mSATA
Lenovo X230 i7/3520m 12GB MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD 480GB mSATA
Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB MX21Xfce/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
Lenovo 11e Celeron n3150 4GB MX19/Fedora30Games 128GB SSD

Paul..

#15 Post by Paul.. »

sýmpraxi̱, Greek for collaboration

Asus Prime X570-Pro | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16 Gig DDR4 3600 | Radeon RX 5600 XT Graphics
Samsung 860 500GB SSDs (2)

skidoo

#16 Post by skidoo »

ἐπιφάνεια
εὕρηκα
^---- copypasted (idunno zed or gretta or upsidon) (uopᴉsdn?)

Might seem "kewl" to use a cryptic-looking codename, but can backfire (offputting/intimidating)
and likely to wind up mistyped (or misspoken, when whispered ear-to-ear)

train-of-thought, after reading tail-end of facepainted clown avatar person's suggestion, leads me to suggest codename "Eureka!"
Last edited by skidoo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#17 Post by dolphin_oracle »

that Archimedes in the bathtub graphic could be a the default wallpaper lol!
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

anticapitalista
Developer

#18 Post by anticapitalista »

εὕρηκα = Eureka
anticapitalista
Reg. linux user #395339.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

skidoo

#19 Post by skidoo »

The prior "word" in my train of thought was epiphany (reaction by emigrants from other operating systems).
Wikipedia page mentioned the etymology + Paul's post --} ἐπιφάνεια (and also mentioned Eureka)

excerpt from the zap2it (Jan 19, 2018): top-rated (most viewed?) friday night TV shows
suggests a collective mindset of "seeking / finding / discovering / hunting" (vs escapism / fantasy / entertainment)
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily- ... n-19-2018/
GOLD RUSH
GOLD RUSH: WHITE WATER
CNN TONIGHT
BRING IT! (i have NO IDEA what the subject matter of this show is)
HOUSE HUNTERS
MY LOTTERY DREAM HOME
DINERS, DRIVE-INS, AND DIVES
HOUSE HUNTERS INTL
https://corporate.discovery.com/discove ... -premiere/
Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ Finds Ratings Gold With Season 8 Premiere

GOLD RUSH pushed Discovery to rank as the #1 non-sports network on all of TV in Friday Prime among M18-49 and M18-34, topping all the broadcasters. The network was also cable’s #1 non-sports network on the night across the board – all 25-54s, all 18-49s, all 18-34s, and Total Viewers. This is GOLD RUSH’s 3rd straight year ranking as cable’s #1 unscripted series across P25-54, M18-49 and P2+, and 4th straight year ranking #1 in M25-54. GOLD RUSH also ranks #3 on all of cable this year – including scripted – among M25-54, behind only The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

Source: The Nielsen Company, Live+3 data, coverage ratings.
Granted, that's a Murrican -centric citation; maybe someone can cite BBC, or Bollywood, stats.

tascoast

#20 Post by tascoast »

anticapitalista wrote:εὕρηκα = Eureka
I grew up in a Greek city called Melbourne :) (at least the part I lived in was quite popular with the diaspora)

Eureka, however, has particular historical meaning and the Eureka flag, recently appropriated by certain groups here, harks back to a violent gold field era confrontation between miners and troopers, better known for the Eureka Stockade in Ballarat Victoria.

I do like animal names, bandicoot being one that comes to mind.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

Return to “General”