Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
danielson

Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?

#1 Post by danielson »

With all these stories about read/write to SSD that slowly wear it out.
Was wondering if there would be a difference if using MX-17 as opposed to Windows?

Richard

Re: Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?

#2 Post by Richard »

Sounds like a great search line. Google for:
"Would MX-17 be easier on SSD than Windows?"
Thinkpad T430 & Dell Latitude E7450, both with MX-21.3.1
kernal 5.10.0-26-amd64 x86_64; Xfce-4.18.0; 8 GB RAM
Intel Core i5-3380M, Graphics, Audio, Video; & SSDs.

Adrian
Developer

#3 Post by Adrian »

I don't think you need to worry about SSD wear anymore unless you use it in a data center, for normal use the wear is irrelevant, the choice of OS even more so.

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

Because Linux has more configurability options than Windows, there are things you can do to reduce read/writes, but as Adrian says modern SSD's don't need it. Misconfiguration can also reduce a drive's life, so unless you are sure that you know what you are doing, better leave it alone.

Do bear in mind that whilst a mechanical drive may give some warning of failure, and even after failure may allow data recovery, SSD's die quickly, and don't normally allow for any data recovery from a dead drive. It is extremely important to back up valued data, and even more so if using an SSD.

On my main machine, I have a separate data disk, and put 'swap' there. I have also run laptops with a minimum of 4GB RAM, with no swap at all, and they ran fine. You can also reduce the amount of times the system uses swap, by reducing a value called 'swappiness'. (I do this on all my Linux machines, regardless of HDD type.) You can also disable time-stamping, which reduces write actions whenever a file is read.

I will just repeat, and say you don't need to do any of these things; drives made in recent years will generally outlast the rest of the system.

More information than you probably need is in the link below, which is written for Linux Mint, but has general applicability:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

cyrilus31

#5 Post by cyrilus31 »

Many tests have been carried out and can be found on the web (I have only references in French). If I follow the trend I will have written 20 TB in 5 years, but a SSD can stand far much more (in normal condition and if no major issue occurs it's more than 100TBW)
Last edited by cyrilus31 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

penguin

#6 Post by penguin »

danielson wrote:With all these stories about read/write to SSD that slowly wear it out.
Was wondering if there would be a difference if using MX-17 as opposed to Windows?
For years we have used HDD. What is your problem? Technology is what it is. Still I have on work HDD produced on 2003. Sometimes an electronic piece is a faith. Everything can die in moment, without giving you a kiss.Technology grants/swear for Terabytes and Terabytes before a SSD dies, but has many that said: my new SSD has died after one week. Logically you have a life to write all Terabytes that producers said, but ....

Technical do not worry for SSD wear, practically make regular backups of your data.

danielson

#7 Post by danielson »

Thank you guys for the good feedback!
Can never be reminded enough of regular data backup plan, that's for sure!

entropyfoe

#8 Post by entropyfoe »

Yes, as written above, the endurance (Tera bytes written) used to be a concern, but has been largely shown to be a non-concern. See this final segment from Techreport
https://techreport.com/review/27909/the ... e-all-dead, and read back to the earlier entries if your are interested. It put my fears to rest.

I put swap on the SSD, set swappiness to 1 and don't worry. My wife's Win 7 machine writes 10GB / day, and at that rate, the endurance will be longer than the Windows 7 will last (EOL in 2 years).

There is a difference, SSD retain data better when powered on. Rotating drives retain data better when powered off.
So that's my back-up strategy. Data lives on my SSDs, a 250 for OS and programs, a 1TB SSD for the data. But both get backed up (imaged or copied) onto the rotating drive for back-up.
And that drive is powered off 99% of the time, not wearing the bearings, no risk of crypto-lockers sec.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

asqwerth
Developer

#9 Post by asqwerth »

How are you backing up the 1TB SSD to the HDD? Manually or are you automating it via some software?
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

entropyfoe

#10 Post by entropyfoe »

I had two bad experiences with lucky backup, so now I do it manually.
On Win 7 I use the free synchback, which works great. I wish I could find a reliable program for MX linux as good as syncback.

For MX linux, I just copy and paste, skipping duplicate files.
My main systems have the switched internal drives, but I also have external eSATA or USB drives. This results in multiple copies, in a bank safety deposit box and at my Son's house.

Many copies.
Asus PRIME X470-PRO
AMD Ryzen 3600X (12 threads @ 3.8 GHz)
32 Gig DDR4 3600 (Crucial CL 16)
Nvidia GeForce GT 710
Samsung 970 NVMe nvme0n1 P1-3=MX-23, P4=testing
Samsung 980 NVMe =1TB Data, plus 2TB WD =backups
on-board ethernet & sound

Return to “General”