Saddest bug ever?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
dreamer

Saddest bug ever?

#1 Post by dreamer »

So by reading omgubuntu I came across this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1734147

This makes me lose faith in hardware and software. It's so crazy I had to share it.

One guy fixed his laptop - reply #110

"I got my y50-70 fixed today.
The FIX was to change the BIOS chip with a new one! Costs me 100€.
Good bye ubuntu, let the Windows headaches come back again. This is too bad situation."

Adrian
Developer

Re: Saddest bug ever?

#2 Post by Adrian »

Wow, is that a linux kernel problem or something that Ubuntu enabled? Are those drivers in an experimental section in kernel options?

dreamer

#3 Post by dreamer »

I only know what the bug description says:

"Impact: Many users are reporting issues with bios corruption with 17.10. This seems to stem from enabling the intel-spi-* drivers in the kernel, which don't appear to be ready for use on end-user machines."

Installing in Legacy mode should be safe (although some reports state otherwise), writing to BIOS NVRAM is riskier. But who knows what that driver really did? It wasn't just Lenovo laptops that were affected. The problem seems more Intel specific than Ubuntu specific. I still wonder how a driver can cause BIOS corruption. Crazy.

Stevo
Developer

#4 Post by Stevo »

Thankfully, it doesn't look like those drivers are in the Debian or Liquorix kernels.

dolphin_oracle
Developer

#5 Post by dolphin_oracle »

I had a kernel panic spam garbage data into my nvram once. totally hosed my bootloaders. I had to use the settings utility to clear the nvram and start over. luckily since the efi boot loaders are not stored there, but rather just pointers, it was easy to add them back.
http://www.youtube.com/runwiththedolphin
lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 4 - MX-23
FYI: mx "test" repo is not the same thing as debian testing repo.

dreamer

#6 Post by dreamer »

Thanks for the feedback.
The main problem is that the NVRAM became non-writable. So instead of just dealing with a software bug you are dealing with broken hardware and replacing the BIOS chip is a lot more hassle than let's say replace a faulty drive.

@Stevo Good to know. Thanks.

Return to “General”