Question about third party power adaptors for monitors

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
asqwerth
Developer

Question about third party power adaptors for monitors

#1 Post by asqwerth »

Seeking advice on the power adaptor (converter/transformer??) for my Samsung LED monitor which has overheated and melted - no wonder the circuit breaker kept tripping and I kept smelling burnt plastic!

Are third-party/compatible power adaptors recommended or advisable, assuming I can find one with the exact step down specs? (needs to be reduced to 14V, and 1.79A).

Alternatively, are there general converters where I can actually "dial down" the voltage and amperage to whatever level I want?

Just want to know my options, although I do intend to visit the Samsung service centre tomorrow to ask if I can obtain a replacement and at what price (and estimated time of delivery).
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

chrispop99
Global Moderator

Re: Question about third party power adaptors for monitors

#2 Post by chrispop99 »

Not a direct answer, but whilst the voltage is important, the current needs to be at least the amount the device is rated for. It won't matter if the current of the adaptor is higher than the device rating; it will only draw what it needs.

There are third party ones on Amazon (at least in the UK), where the seller will tell you if the device will be OK with your monitor.

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

timkb4cq
Developer

#3 Post by timkb4cq »

There's nothing wrong with the third party ones as seen here:
https://www.amazon.com/Ineedup-Adapter- ... dpSrc=srch
This one is capable of providing 3amps so it should run cool & reliably with a monitor that only requires 1.79 amps

If you want to spend a bit more, there are plenty of variable power supplies starting around $50 that will let you dial in an exact voltage.
HP Pavillion TP01, AMD Ryzen 3 5300G (quad core), Crucial 500GB SSD, Toshiba 6TB 7200rpm
Dell Inspiron 15, AMD Ryzen 7 2700u (quad core). Sabrent 500GB nvme, Seagate 1TB

chrispop99
Global Moderator

#4 Post by chrispop99 »

timkb4cq wrote:If you want to spend a bit more, there are plenty of variable power supplies starting around $50 that will let you dial in an exact voltage.
Or an inexact one!

Chris
MX Facebook Group Administrator.
Home-built desktop - Core i5 9400, 970 EVO Plus, 8GB
DELL XPS 15
Lots of test machines

cyrilus31

#5 Post by cyrilus31 »

I changed two AC adapter for my laptops - but I think it's the same for monitors - and they are working pretty well (maybe do they draw more power but I didn't measure). However I would not buy cheapest products cause it's a critical choice.

asqwerth
Developer

#6 Post by asqwerth »

Thanks. I'll probably order from Amazon.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Return to “General”