Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Adrian
Developer

Re: Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

#51 Post by Adrian »

Welcome home Mike. Are the services still working ?
Mail for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsegE01zUE

Gordon Cooper

#52 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Thanks Adrian. What a disaster area! Never been in a wildfire situation but recall a tropical cyclone where we had to dig a small well to get clean water for one of the team to wash his contact lenses.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#53 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

The place is like we just came home from work. AC & Gas is on. Still keeping a couple bags packed up next to the front door just in case.
Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, best wishes. It meant a lot.

MX Rocks!

- mike
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

BitJam
Developer

#54 Post by BitJam »

Great News! Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad that mmikeinsantarosa is back in Santa Rosa. It's been a crazy year with the weather and the fires.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#55 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

Adrian wrote:
That's my old neighborhood... Coffee Park. We moved from there 13 yrs ago. Areas that weren't anywhere near forests got burned to the ground and pine & redwood forests just off the main path didn't get touched. My wife and I are so fortunate and grateful to have been skipped by the destructive path(s) of this thing. Many of our friends and co-workers lost everything.

good to be home
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Leo

#56 Post by Leo »

I remember the feeling when we had to evacuate during the Waldo Canyon fire a few years ago. And, there's no place like home. I'm glad all is good...

:rock:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
There are exceptions to every rule...
and I know I'm mighty exceptional... :lion2:
:linuxlove:
Linux user #415188

Dell Inspiron 3541, AMD A6-6310 quad-core, Radeon R4 graphics, 8GB RAM, MX-19.4, Phillips 32" HDTV monitor

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#57 Post by Eadwine Rose »

Good to be home I'm sure!! :)
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-18-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

MX-16_fan

#58 Post by MX-16_fan »

@mmikeinsantarosa:
mmikeinsantarosa wrote:
Adrian wrote:
That's my old neighborhood... Coffee Park. We moved from there 13 yrs ago. Areas that weren't anywhere near forests got burned to the ground and pine & redwood forests just off the main path didn't get touched. My wife and I are so fortunate and grateful to have been skipped by the destructive path(s) of this thing. Many of our friends and co-workers lost everything.

good to be home
Only just read this. Glad nothing happened to you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, your family, friends and co-workers.

Just looked for a free/libre open source wildfire warning software for Linux-based systems, but I didn't find any (none for Android neither). Would be good to have devices warning everyone in time. Did you receive an SMS alert?

If there's anything I can do for you, please send me a PM!

Greetings, and take care, Joe

Adrian
Developer

#59 Post by Adrian »

I think one of the problem is that mobile communication is one of the first to drop during fires, SMS won't work if there's no cell reception.

BitJam
Developer

#60 Post by BitJam »

This may be wildly OT but there once was an effort to make a non-centralized peer-to-peer network that would be more robust in these situations. I don't know what came if it. I imagine it met stiff resistance from companies that profit from the centralization.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Return to “General”