Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Gordon Cooper

Re: Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

#71 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Here in the Shaky Isles, we're much the same, or possibly worse than California for earthquakes. Timber framing is usual for housing, though the cladding may vary.
Being planned for Wellingon (most likely city to have a shake) is a 12 level office block, foundation re-inforced concrete, but everything to be laminated timber above ground. Claims are that it will be more resistant to both earthquakes and fire than the usual steel/concrete structure.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

BitJam
Developer

#72 Post by BitJam »

The original part of my house is made of adobe but I don't think it would withstand a fire.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself -- and you are the easiest person to fool."

-- Richard Feynman

Stevo
Developer

#73 Post by Stevo »

I was living in El Cajon during the 2003 Cedar Fire: http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-ceda ... story.html

There was smoke everywhere that morning, but then I was driving along the 52 freeway and it had flames roaring alongside it! That night, it burned right to the roads marking the northern edge of Santee, residents were evacuated in a mad rush, but a heroic effort stopped the fire from getting into Santee. Other areas later were much less fortunate. We had four days of heavy smoke, making breathing dangerous, without a trace of the sun.

This artist lost most of his artwork and home's contents, as well as 4 of 9 structures in his compound, during the fire. But it wasn't designed to be a bunker like the one in French link: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdu ... story.html

Still angry about the hunter that started it. 300 lbs, out of shape, smoking pot with his brother. Wanders down a 2000 ft. deep canyon during 100 F weather, then claims he became lost when he was actually just not able to climb back out. Starts the fire to summon rescue and is more worried about getting in trouble for being stoned than starting the fire on his helicopter ride out. Later lies to investigators and claims his firearm started the blaze. Finally sentenced to 6 months work furlough and a $900 fine.

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#74 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

Things are a tad messy here. My work site is inside an evacuation area. We have been getting checked in & out via national guard which recently got replaced by a private security firm. Hard hats & Steel toed boots now required on the job. I blew my lower back out frantically loading the vehicle up when we got evacuated a couple Saturdays ago. Although the home is still standing, not everything, especially mwa is running on all cylinders yet. The first couple of days back to work, it took over an hour just to go the last 1/2 mile. My normal commute is about 12 minutes. Today it only took 20 minutes to get on site.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

MX-16_fan

#75 Post by MX-16_fan »

@mmikeinsantarosa:
mmikeinsantarosa wrote:Things are a tad messy here. My work site is inside an evacuation area. We have been getting checked in & out via national guard which recently got replaced by a private security firm. Hard hats & Steel toed boots now required on the job. I blew my lower back out frantically loading the vehicle up when we got evacuated a couple Saturdays ago. (...) My normal commute is about 12 minutes. Today it only took 20 minutes to get on site.
Poor you! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Wouldn't know exactly what that could be, but saying just in case.

Greetings, and have a safe week, Joe

xali

#76 Post by xali »

mmikeinsantarosa wrote:We have been getting checked in & out via national guard which recently got replaced by a private security firm
why? that sounds weird
and what authority has a private security firm upon you?
do you people there find this situation normal? what are other people in the area say aboyt this?

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#77 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

xali wrote:
mmikeinsantarosa wrote:We have been getting checked in & out via national guard which recently got replaced by a private security firm
why? that sounds weird
and what authority has a private security firm upon you?
do you people there find this situation normal? what are other people in the area say aboyt this?
Initially, the road to work was closed due to the devastation the fire left in it's path. The area was under a mandatory evacuation order. There were a lot of homes on that street and law enforcement didn't want anybody going through the rubble and looting what they could find or entering homes that hadn't burned and taking stuff out. Also, nobody knew if there were hazardous materials brought out by the fires. The national guard was called in to keep everyone out. Towards the end, they began to let home owners in to get what they could and people like me in to go to work. You had to get your name on a list for the national guard to use and if your name was on the list, you got in. You also got checked out when you left. Eventually, the national guard was redeployed elsewhere but they still needed to keep nitwits out. So for about 2 days, road security access was executed by a private firm. Then they opened up the road to thru traffic and a private security firm was placed at the entrance to my work where you had to have your name on a list to get in. It was a mess whenever someone got in line and wasn't on the list. A couple times, people were just going through and got diverted into our plant where they couldn't get in and stopped the train from moving.
Last edited by mmikeinsantarosa on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

xali

#78 Post by xali »

looting and hazardous materials, yes that makes sense then.
very messy and annoying situation, keep strong mike

MX-16_fan

#79 Post by MX-16_fan »

@Adrian:
Adrian wrote:I think one of the problem is that mobile communication is one of the first to drop during fires, SMS won't work if there's no cell reception.
If one bought a satellite phone, would you get an emergency notice if you had a satellite phone?

In order to do this, your provider would probably have to know where you actually are. Is this information being delivered to the satellite once you are logged into the network?

Might be an option, they are not too expensive any more. I don't know what kind of alert systems are usually being offered with standard plans, however.

Greetings, Joe

xali

#80 Post by xali »

mikesantarosa wrote:Towards the end, they began to let home owners in to get what they could and people like me in to go to work. You had to get your name on a list for the national guard to use and if your name was on the list, you got in. You also got checked out when you left.
one question...
what about people who lost their id, passport etc in the flames? how did they prove that they are who they say they are?

Return to “General”