Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

Re: Keep mmikeinsantarosa and his family in your thoughts

#31 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

The best map to see what's burning is this one. Only have the MODIS satellite fire detection box checked. Uncheck any others.
Red==active fire
Orange==burning out
Black==Out
layers.png
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

duane

#32 Post by duane »

Will do that for sure. Is there smoke where you are at? We had lots of smoke this summer in western Oregon. It makes a big difference if the wind isn't moving the smoke out. Can you see any fires from your place?
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

Shay2

#33 Post by Shay2 »

Thank you for the instructions Mike!

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#34 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

duane wrote:Will do that for sure. Is there smoke where you are at? We had lots of smoke this summer in western Oregon. It makes a big difference if the wind isn't moving the smoke out. Can you see any fires from your place?
It was real smoky at my house today, not so much at mom's. The fires are all to the East running North & South of Mom's and the wind's been out of the NW blowing smoke & ash away from Mom's and towards my home. I can see smoke coming from the Geyserville fire from mom's in Healdsburg.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

tascoast

#35 Post by tascoast »

It's bushfire season down here every year and some state or district gets scorched, a bit like California. I bet there's even some Eucalyptus around there for effect. I was fortunate when some scores of homes were lost on my road and in the local township. Photos of a family sheltering in the waters beside a jetty even made international news. The fire passed around the farms buffering my little corner of the coast, toasting the wooded hills and flats nearby.

The smoke lingered for days while things burnt out and this, along with following the continued alerts and updates, patrolling for embers without power, running water and local telco mobile network tower out, car almost empty of fuel...I had neighbors but the first official contact as after several days when emergency crews did a property audit, checking who was there or gone to safety, the police tape on driveways a reminder for months later.

...cycling the morning after into town to find smouldering stubs of utility poles, some still suspended by wires, others cut hurriedly clearing the road by emergency crews.... ruin after ruin of houses completely destroyed, others surviving essentially unscathed. Seeing the broken bottles and discarded cans now exposed on bare blackened earth verges.

Take good care Mike and be sure to get some time away somewhere peaceful when circumstances allow to recuperate.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#36 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

All the fire maps indicated clear near my place so we left Mom's and went home yesterday AM. I got up to pee the dog at 3:30AM and the SRPD was banging on all the doors to get out NOW! No wind, nothing burning on the fire maps but I could see the flames coming over the hill from Sugar Loaf State park maybe 1/4 mi to the SE. We have relocated to my brothers in Windsor.

Mandatory evac notice on nixle.com now from adobe rd to Calistoga rd all areas N & S of HWY 12.

dang!

mike

asqwerth
Developer

#37 Post by asqwerth »

Stay safe.
Desktop: Intel i5-4460, 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics
Clevo N130WU-based Ultrabook: Intel i7-8550U (Kaby Lake R), 16GB RAM, Intel integrated graphics (UEFI)
ASUS X42D laptop: AMD Phenom II, 6GB RAM, Mobility Radeon HD 5400

Jerry3904
Administrator

#38 Post by Jerry3904 »

Damn, Mike--that sounds awful.
Production: 5.10, MX-23 Xfce, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 16 GB, SSD 120 GB, Data 1TB
Personal: Lenovo X1 Carbon with MX-23 Fluxbox and Windows 10
Other: Raspberry Pi 5 with MX-23 Xfce Raspberry Pi Respin

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#39 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

The only map that's staying current. http://www.pressdemocrat.com/multimedia ... eadline-xy - mike

Adrian
Developer

#40 Post by Adrian »

Some chance of rain only on Thursday, hopefully the wind is not going to blow too much. Fingers crossed.

Return to “General”