Bryan Lunduke is excited about Purism's Linux cell phone

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
duane

Bryan Lunduke is excited about Purism's Linux cell phone

#1 Post by duane »

I saw this video the other day. A secure phone that runs Linux. Expensive to buy, but they have to start somewhere.
What do you think? I really hope that one of these products makes the market. Android and Apple phones suck.
Real Linux on a phone! A new choice. Thinking about supporting this. I would like to hear what others think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SwE9W8JasA
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

duane

Re: Bryan Lunduke is excited about Purism's Linux cell phone

#2 Post by duane »

Here is an update on the Phone development:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... 5-Goes-KDE

SwampRabbit

#3 Post by SwampRabbit »

I have been following this a bit, price isn't TOO bad, not great but typical for a startup project like this at the beginning.
I read recently that they are working with KDE to test Plasma mobile on it, which would be interesting to see.

I would love for Linux phones to take off, but I see the a problem being application support, as in major companies wanting to create applications for such phones.
In a perfect world only FOSS software on a phone would be great, especially if users have everything they need or want. But honestly if major companies don't develop their apps for it, it won't take off mainstream anytime soon, which could also be a good thing too.
NEW USERS START HERE FAQS, MX Manual, and How to Break Your System - Don't use Ubuntu PPAs! Always post your Quick System Info (QSI) when asking for help.

duane

September 2018 update Bryan Lunduke is excited about Purism's Linux cell phone

#4 Post by duane »

They have done a lot in the past year.

Here is the latest Bryan Lunduke interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiItd6I3VHU

Mauser

#5 Post by Mauser »

It's way too expensive. I wish a true GNU/Linux Stupid Phone distro would come out that installs using a G.U.I. installer as easy as MX Linux that has no Spyware, no data collection, no Spamazon, no Malware, and no Microsoft involvement. Something that works as well as MX Linux. I can't stand this Google Spyware called Android that I can't un-install Spyware apps and have no control of my privacy.
I am command line illiterate. :confused: I copy & paste to the terminal. Liars, Wiseguys, Trolls, and those without manners will be added to my ignore list. :mad:

turtlebay777

#6 Post by turtlebay777 »

Peter Turtlebay is NOT excited about Purism's Linux cell phone!

Peter Turtlebay has quietly returned to using an old pay as you go Nokia with phone and text only and is happy to have done away with all the hassle of 'smart' phone addiction.

handy

#7 Post by handy »

I don't have an addiction to smart phones. I do have not the best eyesight, which made me very happy to see the original iPod Touch come out. I bought one to keep my contacts on (no, not contact lenses) & some other important reference data. That was years ago now (I can't remember how many).

Then my wife gave me her redundant (for some reason) iPhone & told me to get an account, as I travel without her & she has a very old mother. So few years ago I got my first hand me down phone. Interestingly the thing died of old age not long after. So I had to get a new phone.

Bought a twice superseded Samsung thing. Rooted it, changed the Android OS & carried on. It died. Recently bought another superseded Samsung. Haven't rooted & changed Android at this point. Don't like G**gle intermittently asking me to sign in to an account that I will NEVER have.

Nor do I like Samsung trying to make me update the thing.

I do like having a large screen for the visual acuity that it provides.

I would love to have a true non-G**gle OS, Linux run smart phone. I think it (or a BSD one) would be the most private & user controllable phone we could presently have.

I've been watching Purism for some time too. I hope that in the coming years, they are still in business & I own one of their phones. Personal privacy is one of the most valuable commodities that exist. Personal privacy is becoming more valuable by the second, due to its quickly increasing rarity.
1_MSI: MAG B560 TORP', i5, RAM 16GB, GTX 1070 Ti 12GB, M2 238GB + USB, MX-23 Fb to Openbox
2_Lenovo: Ideapad 520S, i5, RAM 8GB, GPU i620, HDD 1TB, MX-21 - Openbox
3_Clevo: P150SM-A, i7, RAM 16GB, nVidia 8600, 2x 1TB HDD & M.2 256 GB, MX-21 - Openbox

duane

#8 Post by duane »

They are way too expensive for me to hope to get a new one. I do hope they are successful in getting such a revolutionary product launched.
So I watch and check on the progress every so often. It sounds like they are making progress and it will be interesting to see what happens once they get the development kits out.
That is a crucial step. Then progressing to the smaller screens. I think it will take longer than they think but doable if they have a mind to persevere.

richb
Administrator

#9 Post by richb »

Remember Vivaldi, the Linux tablet. Got all the way to the circuit board production stage and then faded away. Maybe this will be more successful.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

thomasl

#10 Post by thomasl »

Mauser wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:41 pmIt's way too expensive. I wish a true GNU/Linux Stupid Phone distro would come out that installs using a G.U.I. installer as easy as MX Linux that has no Spyware, no data collection, no Spamazon, no Malware, and no Microsoft involvement.
We all have our wishes... ;)
Mauser wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:41 pmI can't stand this Google Spyware called Android that I can't un-install Spyware apps and have no control of my privacy.
That's easier. Get yourself a phone whose bootloader can be unlocked (I have used Samsungs and Moto Gs so far but there are others) and for which there's a recent lineage OS custom ROM (there are versions w/o any of the standard Google apps). Install a decent recovery (say TWRP]. Backup the current system. Install lineage. Finished. :happy:
Frugal installs on Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Ryzen 5 4650U/24GB * HP Pavilion Ryzen 3 3300U/16GB * Toshiba R950 i5-3340M/12GB
I have a reservation... What do you mean it's not in the COMPUTER!

Return to “General”