How many people using Windows 10 in here?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
PhilH

Re: How many people using Windows 10 in here?

#21 Post by PhilH »

It came on the laptop, but I shrunk the partition, added partitions for /MX /home & swap and now run MX almost exclusively since taking it out of the box it came in. Keep Win10 up to date for family technical support info.
Distro: MX-18.2_x64 Continuum Feb 9 2019
Laptop:HP2016 Kernel: 4.13.0-1-amd64 x86_64
Desktop: Asus2014 Kernel: 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64, AMD A10-6700
Play/Netbook: MX-Workbench Kernel: 4.15.0-1-amd64 x86_64

mmikeinsantarosa
Developer

#22 Post by mmikeinsantarosa »

PhilH wrote:It came on the laptop, but I shrunk the partition, added partitions for /MX /home & swap and now run MX almost exclusively since taking it out of the box it came in. Keep Win10 up to date for family technical support info.
My wife's business desktop mobo died last week. It's been replaced with an i7 Dell from Costco. I stripped the win10 that came on it and loaded MX 16 straight up. I've also got a win7 virtual machine on it as well so she can still run her MS stuff. She has an ipod that needs itunes but I haven't been able to get that to go on wine yet. Another reason for the VM.
LT: MX19.1 Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-6820HQ Kernel: 5.0.0-7.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64

Ransker

#23 Post by Ransker »

PhilH wrote:It came on the laptop, but I shrunk the partition, added partitions for /MX /home & swap and now run MX almost exclusively since taking it out of the box it came in. Keep Win10 up to date for family technical support info.
I used to use Windows 7 ,but yesterday I upgraded to Windows10 from Windows since i forgot Windows 7 password , But Windows 10 is less stable than Windows7, i'm going to downgrade to Windows7 ,
Last edited by Ransker on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBD

#24 Post by KBD »

I went about 4 years without using Windows, and I do not trust MS even though they have tried to act more friendly to Linux. Having said that, I bought a T420 Thinkpad this summer that has Windows 10 pro on it. Despite wanting to hate it the OS is nicer than Win7, feels more polished. Privacy is probably about the same as a Chromebook if everything possible is shut off. Yet who really knows what MS is collecting? Since it is pro edition I can delay updates for 6 mos. But Debian 9 runs like a champ on it. I've become a big fan of Thinkpads. Wonderful to have brightness and volume keys and suspend work OOTB. Also recently picked up a X201 Thinkpad, nice little machine but Win7 is heavy on it. Moving it to Linux soon.

uncle mark

#25 Post by uncle mark »

Ransker wrote:[I used to use Windows 7 ,but yesterday I upgraded to Windows10 from Windows since i forgot Windows 7 password , But Windows10 is less stable than Windows7, i'm going to downgrade to Windows7 ,
I hope you didn't actually pay for that upgrade.

https://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-ca ... lity-site/
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

duane

#26 Post by duane »

None that I have kept. Started switching to Linux when they were developing Vista. I used to boot into Windows once a year to do my taxes. Now I let AARP do my taxes. I don't need Widows for anything. It was just too frustrating to install drivers and fuss with virus removal. So glad I switched. When I get a used machine I wipe Windows off immediately.
Lenovo M92p Quad Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz

jackdanielsesq

#27 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Gates hasnt built anything decent since XP - with all their HIB emoji-engineers having stirred
the W10 cauldron , its an unmitigated disaster - use W7 occasionally - a steroid version of XP
on a remote mosheen to root iPhones, etc - do not touch giggle, fakebook, or icloud anything

Jack

Pierre

#28 Post by Pierre »

since win-10 gets an face-lift every six months, or so,
then at that point, there seems to be another crowd of folks, who are dissatisfied, by that recent update.
& then they do start looking for an alternative - - Hello Linux
:hug:

Eadwine Rose
Administrator

#29 Post by Eadwine Rose »

I will be installing win10 on my new system, next to mx18. I need windows to update the tomtom and the mio cyclo, and playing games in steam.

And nope. VB doesn't do as good a job, because it continuously spits out the connected device. Not something you'd want when updating maps.

I have win7 right now, but considering that one will have no more support soon, I've bitten the bullet and purchased the 10 thing already.
MX-23.2_x64 July 31 2023 * 6.1.0-20-amd64 ext4 Xfce 4.18.1 * 8core AMD Ryzen 7 2700
Asus TUF B450-Plus Gaming UEFI * Asus GTX 1050 Ti Nvidia 525.147.05 * 2x16Gb DDR4 2666 Kingston HyperX Predator
Samsung 860EVO * Samsung S24D330 & P2250 * HP Envy 5030

sunrat

#30 Post by sunrat »

I use it for games and recording from Digico UB MADI 48 channel audio interface which doesn't have a Linux driver. Works OK but I've stripped out as much telemetry and annoying unwanted programs as I could.
Highly recommend Win10Privacy which is a magic program to whip Win10 into shape - https://www.winprivacy.de/english-home/

Return to “General”