How many people using Windows 10 in here?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
jackdanielsesq

Re: How many people using Windows 10 in here?

#41 Post by jackdanielsesq »

Spoken like a real man .... :number1:

Regards

Jack

Mauser wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:36 am Not me. It was because of Windows 10 that I switch from using Windows to using Linux 100% of the time back in September 2015.

Head_on_a_Stick

#42 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I've just bought a new ThinkPad E485 (Ryzen ftw!) and it has Win10 preinstalled, Lenovo didn't give me the option not to.

I was going to keep it because I've already paid for it and I'm using this machine for games but I've run the benchmark map for CS:GO[1], Windows averaged 56 frames per second but Debian buster managed 70 FPS :happy:

Using the operating system for even a brief period frustrates me massively and the EULA is scary — you basically have to agree that Microsoft has access to any data and any input on the machine :eek:

So I think I will wipe it soon...
mod note: Signature removed, please read the forum rules

jackdanielsesq

#43 Post by jackdanielsesq »

More real-men here .... :number1:

Regards

Jack
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Using the operating system for even a brief period frustrates me massively and the EULA is scary — you basically have to agree that Microsoft has access to any data and any input on the machine :eek:

So I think I will wipe it soon...

wulf

#44 Post by wulf »

[/quote]
The only reason I have Win10 is to update my Garmin and one other thing I do for the DW (that's Dear Wife) that I've done once a while back and can not, now, remember what it was.

The Server (it's actually 2016, not 2012) is because I'm working on my Server 2016 MCSA and I downloaded the ISO from MS to build a lab environment the work through issues I don't understand - there's a lot of those!

So, 99+% of my time at home (time at work doesn't count - I have no control over that) is spent in MX.
[/quote]

That was the only thing I missed having windows for, so when I wiped it from the hard drive, I was having to use a friends laptop to update the Garmin. Then I downloaded "Here" maps to my mobile / cell phone, and never looked back. The phone is about the same size as the Garmin screen, the maps are better and download much quicker, ( at least for the UK ), the navigation voice clearer, and the phone display is sharper and better overall, so a good solution for me, and no further need for reliance on Windows..

rs55

#45 Post by rs55 »

Bought a couple of Thinkpad x230s off ebay for $90/each. Needed some cleaning , replaced keyboard on one ( $35) and put in a beautiful IPS screen($70) on the one without IPS .
They came with win 10 pro installed.
Before doing anything else - I ran a windows update - with all the usual multiple failed updates etc etc - but it seemed to ultimately update itself to March 2018 level. And man was the GUI uggggllly!!
Then I disabled all updates, ran a script ( debloater) to get rid of all the bloatware ( there is plenty), installed classicshell ( so the start-menu looks like in win 7).
Then I ran O&O shutup - that further disables a bunch of telemetry and other crap.
Then I installed a few of the windows apps I have used for 20 years.
Then I put the thing in airplane mode - so it does'nt connect to the internet automatically.
I plan to leave win 10 in that state. To use in the rare ocassion I need windows for something ( most recently TurboTax).
It is a debloated, crippled windows 10 - Just the way I like it. It is strapped to a chair with its hands tied behind its back!!

Then I installed MX, as a dual boot. This is what I use 99% of the time.

KBD

#46 Post by KBD »

I do use Windows 10 at times. I have some writing software licenses for Windows. But it is slow, even with plenty of ram and an SSD it crawls compared to MX. I went for about 5 years Windows free, easy to do as Windows 8 was truly horrible. Windows 7 never interested me much. I moved to Linux during XP, which had some good points, but was a virus magnet. Linux gives you much more control of your hardware.

turtlebay777

#47 Post by turtlebay777 »

I stopped using Windows when I bought a laptop with Win 7 pre-installed. Within five minutes (literally) Windows was history and Linux had replaced it (Mint back then!)

rootetsy

#48 Post by rootetsy »

I know this doesn't help you with the password problem but I thought I would answer the question in the title. Lol.

I haven't really used Windows in at least 10 years. Except for the occasional fixing of things on my Wife's computer that is.

Fortunately, I have a job that allows me to run Linux on my desktop and my job is managing Linux servers. Desktop has been MX for about 1 year now and most of the servers I manage are Centos. I prefer Debian myself but everyone wants to either use Centos/RHEL or Ubuntu ( UGH ).

NotTheUnsub

#49 Post by NotTheUnsub »

I do use Windows 10 as my main computer. Main reasons due to familiarity and there are some programs (Garmin GPS updates, Turbotax Desktop version) which aren't in Linux. I do avoid using the tiles in Windows 10 start menu via a third party program that suppresses they tiles. Otherwise, they would drive me bonkers.

I use Linux on my laptops and there are certain programs work better than a Windows versioned program. One that comes to mind is SimpleScreenRecorder. I use that sometimes record livestreams and my Windows user friends think I have a magic touch of sort ;) .

As the saying goes. Whether Windows or Linux or some of both, "The right tool for the job".
Desktop: Win 10 Pro, Dell Optiplex 980 MT, i5 670, 3.45 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
Laptop #1: MX-19(x64), Dell E5430, i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHZ, 8 GB RAM, 1TB Firecuda SSHD
Laptop #2: MX-19 (x64): Thinkpad T420s, i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 8GB RAM, 320 GB HDD

Gordon Cooper

#50 Post by Gordon Cooper »

Never used Win 10. Have a copy 7 on my backup desktop, looked at it a couple of times but do not use it.
Backup: Dell9010, MX-19_B2, Win7, 120 SSD, WD 232GIB HD, 4GB RAM
Primary :Homebrew64 bit Intel duo core 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Kingston SSD, Seagate1TB.
MX-18.2 64bit. Also MX17, Kubuntu14.04 & Puppy 6.3.

Return to “General”