Welcome!

Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 RC1 release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Technology run amok?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
joany
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Technology run amok?

#1 Postby joany » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:51 pm

I saw an interesting news article about a recent Apple patent that disables smart phone cameras when a certain infrared signal is detected.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... s-at-live/

Ostensibly, the purpose is to prevent people from recording live performances, such as plays, concerts, etc. My daughter and her husband are huge U2 fans, and attend as many U2 concerts as they can fit into their schedules. She says virtually everybody attending these concerts records at least portions of them with their cell phone cameras. I guess it's the "new normal" -- certainly not like the old days when security personnel would chase after and physically assault people who brought video cameras into theaters or concerts.

Personally, I would rather enjoy the "live" experience instead of making a sh*tty recording of it for posterity, but that's just me I guess. However, it seems that performers strenuously object to people making low-quality unsalable video clips of them on stage, and some venues have resorted to some rather extreme measures:

Other initiatives include shining lasers on visitors who use mobile phones during performances, which has become a popular tactic in cinemas in China and was recently adopted by London’s Jermyn Street Theatre.

Based on information from my daughter and son-in-law, it would require about 100,000 lasers aimed at individual U2 fans in order to thwart them from recording videos at a typical U2 concert. So Apple came up with this clever patent that would take care of all 100,000 of them at once. Of course, as always, there are unintended consequences:

If Apple’s technology is introduced, however, it could lead to fears that it would be used by oppressive regimes and law enforcement to prevent citizens documenting oppression.

I'm not keen on appearing in the background of "selfies" taken by total strangers. I wonder if someone will market an infrared pendant I can wear around my neck to block cameras pointed in my direction? :lol:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

megatotoro
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Technology run amok?

#2 Postby megatotoro » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Interesting!

I think I read some time ago that they had made a special kind of glasses for preventing one's face from being recorded on video, but the idea of the pendant is way better!

jimallyn
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

#3 Postby jimallyn » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:04 pm

I wonder why they approved a patent for that? Seems pretty obvious to me. In my town we have several of those stop light cameras that take a picture of your car if it approaches a red light too fast. Then they send you a ticket in the mail. I have considered installing infrared LEDS in a ring around my license plate, which would, hopefully, blind the camera to your license plate. Also, I live a ways out of town, and there aren't a lot of street lights here, which is one of the things I like about where I live. One of my neighbors is in a position where if he were to install a street light in his yard (people do that for "security") it would be visible from my house. My plan, if he ever installs a light, is to point an infrared laser at it, so the photosensor that turns it on always thinks its bright daylight out.

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#4 Postby lucky9 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Hacking into a Laptop camera seems to be a thing also.

I don't go to concerts as it really disturbs be to have someone checking facebook or whatever in a movie theater (even before the movie like during upcoming movie trailers). I could just imagine the lack of civil behavior making a concert a real ordeal.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

eemaestro
Forum Guide
Forum Guide

#5 Postby eemaestro » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Figure out firsthand how a infrared motion detector works. Show your neighbor you can make the light come on only if somebody or something walks past it.

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#6 Postby Jerry3904 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:20 am

Deleted post here for implicitly political content...losing my patience.
Production: 4.7.0-0.bpo.1-amd64, MX-15 RC1, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 3.16-0-4-686-pae. MX-15, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

Hermann_the_German
Forum Novice
Forum  Novice

run amok?

#7 Postby Hermann_the_German » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:25 am

Jerry3904 wrote:Deleted post here for implicitly political content...losing my patience.

:tumbleweed:
:hut:

Eadwine Rose
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#8 Postby Eadwine Rose » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:27 am

Please leave old threads be when there is nothing to contribute, thanks.

Locked.
mx16-1_x64 SMP MX 4.7.8-1mx16+3 2017-2-23 ext4 Xfce 4.12 * AMD Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 * ASUS GeForce GT640-1GD5-L * AMD Proc. Athlon II X4 635, sAM3 * HDA ATI SB VT1708S Analog * 2x4Gb DDR3 1600 Kingst * 22" Samsung SyncMaster P2250 * HP DeskJ F2280

Return to “General”