News
-- Introducing our new Website
-- MX Linux on social media: here

Current releases
-- MX-18.3 Point Release release info here
-- Migration Information to MX-18 here
-- antiX-17.4.1 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Super Bowl - on line coverage

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Super Bowl - on line coverage

Post by Dieselrider » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Stevo wrote:
Dieselrider wrote:I have been watching football online all this season with sites like First Row Sports and VIP sports all using Linux. I don't see why it would be any difference with the Super Bowl?
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think those sites aggregate pirated live sports streams. There would be a big difference between those and an official stream that may attempt to enforce DRM or use some proprietary technology such as NBC did with Olympic coverage and Silverlight years ago.
Yes they are but, they do work and with adblocker you can eliminate many of the pop ups, although there is a trick to it.

I started watching these sites back when you could only watch the official sites on a windows machine while running silverlite. I would not download that onto any of my wife's windows machines because that was nothing but trouble.

These sites allowed me to watch games while running Linux. However, I would think that now, you should be able to go to a regular CBS site to watch the game without the stupid silverlight being the only way in. At least they do stream some regular television programming over the internet that anyone can watch.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-18 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

KernSpy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by KernSpy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:18 pm

I refuse to install the silver-crap by MS.

@ Rok
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... ar_preview
I can view the video on MX15 / FFox.

DRM is the worst thing to happen to the Internet. I dislike any proprietary services. When everything went cable in my area, the tv stations started dropping vhf/uhf (ota) services. There are still a few left, if one uses a rotor, booster and multi-antennas for uhf / vhf. Have to turn W & SW for ch:5, 2 and 7 .. US. North for ch 12 .. CA, SE for ch:11 .. CA, NW for ch:8 and so on. Here they charge $45.00 monthly for (no-internet) non-digital cable. Oh and did I mention that our cable sucks?

I hope that later versions of HTML# will replace Flash, Silver and all of it. Would be great to get rid of all corporate proprietary services and use an open standard. Something like open-html would be nice.

I use "front row" to watch hockey. I don't watch much TV anyway, so Netflix & Front-row is all I need. I use a DNS service to get full time USA NetFlix. The USA version has more / better stuff. The signal goes out from the router (wireless) and is picked up by my samsung tv. There is a browser that can be used with the tv / remote, but it leaves a lot to be desired. I think the ss-tv uses Tanzen? Linux for OS. The browser doesn't have any kind of ad-blocking. Once the ads start rolling in and pop-up windows start opening, I just give in and close the browser. It would be nice to have an OS on the tv that allowed for some configuration. It doesn't seem to likely though.

I refuse to buy music & players that are proprietary. My player will play pretty much anything .. Video & Audio. I use mostly flac & avi. I refuse to buy MS / Apple anything. All those corporate monster monopolies that have grown up around us should be broken up and scattered to the four winds. just saying ..

I just can't get into football .. They have no sticks! ;)

Kern...
MX-18.2_x64 | System76 Galago UltraPro / Clevo W740SU | Intel Core i7-4770HQ | Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 | 16 GB DDR3 | Intel 530 series mSATA SSD - 240-GB | WD7500BPKX - 750-GB | Intel HD Audio. Note: [System76] and the Galago's neutered UEFI

lucky9
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by lucky9 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:48 pm

cbssports.com is supposed to have it.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

i_ri
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by i_ri » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:10 pm

"They have no sticks!" good one.right. that go for brooms?are you a broomball player?
doing Super coverage in this column? keep us updated. online coverage.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:22 pm

i_ri wrote:"They have no sticks!" good one.right. that go for brooms?are you a broomball player?
doing Super coverage in this column? keep us updated. online coverage.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/superbowl/ ... star_watch
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Stevo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Stevo » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:40 pm

The CBS stream doesn't work with Pepperflash in Mozilla-based browsers, it seems, at least for me. Works fine in Slimjet, though.

uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by uncle mark » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:11 pm

Working here in M11 with Fx 38 ESR (built by mike) and Flash.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

rokytnji.1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by rokytnji.1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:52 pm

@ Rok
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... ar_preview
I can view the video on MX15 / FFox.
Must be a Canadian thing. Working fine right now for me In MX-14 Firefox. Using Flash 11.2 only also.
I edited media in my about:config though long ago for a thread in AntiX forums about a subject I cannot remember now.
I cannot find the thread as I am busy watching the games and the thread has disappeared into the back ground.

Dieselrider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dieselrider » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Working well in MX15 64 bit with FF.
Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

MX-18 64 bit
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Mobo,
AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU,
Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM,
Seagate 1TB HDD,
Ultra LSP550 550W Power Supply

zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by zeeone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:40 am

Worked well here with FF and pepperflash on Linux. :popcorn:
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Return to “General”