general

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
asqwerth
Developer

Re: general

#11 Post by asqwerth »

I thought it was said in jest, actually.

In any case, the thread was originally about KDE Plasma 5, as there is still lots of interest about KDE in this forum (hence the MX+KDE subforum). It's just that KDE's preview images use Kubuntu as its base.

tascoast

#12 Post by tascoast »

Is the KDE a hungry beast now on resources compared to say M11?

I have begun to notice some deterioration of M11's default capabilities for web pages like fb and yahoo mail although the video sites I use are fine. Calibre seems more outdated too than in MX-14. Just little things that crop up lately for me. I still run M12 and it's possible it might replace M11 as a main companion to MX-14.
Inspiron 15 5000-5593- (i7-1065G7) MX 19.2 AHS/MX-21//W10 - Lenovo ThinkCentre A58 4GBRAM (64-bit), MX-21/MX19/antiX19/Mint 19

lucky9

#13 Post by lucky9 »

tascoast wrote:Is the KDE a hungry beast now on resources compared to say M11?

I have begun to notice some deterioration of M11's default capabilities for web pages like fb and yahoo mail although the video sites I use are fine. Calibre seems more outdated too than in MX-14. Just little things that crop up lately for me. I still run M12 and it's possible it might replace M11 as a main companion to MX-14.
I've noticed no loss of responsiveness (of KDE) using MX 14.x with KDE-Standard.

Remember that Mepis 11 is squeeze-based so it's getting a little 'long in the tooth' so-to-speak.
Yes, even I am dishonest. Not in many ways, but in some. Forty-one, I think it is.
--Mark Twain

golden45

#14 Post by golden45 »

answer to JimC hi still running kubuntu and it just keeps getting better and better. It look great and is getting easier to use kunbuntu 5.1.95 now thanks john

Stevo
Developer

#15 Post by Stevo »

Code: Select all

Calibre seems more outdated too than in MX-14.
Calibre in the repos is pretty ancient for M11. On a Wheezy base, you can install their latest static-build releases per the instructions on calibre.org site, which currently would be the terminal command:
su -c 'wget -nv -O- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kovid ... staller.py | sudo python -c "import sys; main=lambda:sys.stderr.write('Download failed\n'); exec(sys.stdin.read()); main()"'
This used to work on M11, but I've not tested it to see if it still does. YMMV.

You should uninstall the repo version first to avoid conflicts. This version also will not appear in the package manager. To uninstall the static version, the command is

Code: Select all

su -c 'calibre-uninstall'

golden45

#16 Post by golden45 »

Kubuntu kde 5 is a great system.I am running it now and like it a lot.Nice graphics .http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 4276,d.cGU

richb
Administrator

#17 Post by richb »

Still some bugs. Not a full complement of widgets. Folder widget does not work. Dropbox widget does not appear in the system tray. Cascading menu has bugs . That is what I have discovered in the half hour I have been looking at it.

EDIT: It also nearly filled up my root directory. it was 57% free now 87% free. Being adventuresome I had to install it, but sorry I did. Fortunately I have a system backup and will revert.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

golden45

#18 Post by golden45 »

Distrowatch has linspire and freespire iso 64 .Wow I thought they were far gone but they are back.john

golden45

#19 Post by golden45 »

It looks like black dog is behind this.john

golden45

#20 Post by golden45 »

Just downloaded and installed freespire found no difference from 16.04 ubuntu john

Return to “General”