Welcome!

Please read this important information about Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.
Please read this important information about MX sources lists.
News
  • MX Linux on social media: here
  • Mepis support still here
Current releases
  • MX-17 Final release info here
  • MX-16.1 release info here
  • antiX-17 release info here
    New users
    • Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
    • Read Forum Rules

Flash Security Update

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.
Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Flash Security Update

#51 Postby Jerry3904 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:44 pm

I wasn't sure where it was, just knew which settings I had that showed it.
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#52 Postby kmathern » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:09 pm

chippy52 wrote:Yes I do have the libnotify-bin package installed. I did notice that one of the depends [ libnotify1-gtk2.10 ] was available. Maybe in one of the CR repositories?

From some of what I've read it looks like you might also need a package installed that provides notification-daemon.

Notification-daemon is a virtual package (https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/notification-daemon) that is provided by several other packages including the Xfce xfce4-notifyd package and the KDE4 plasma-widgets-workspace package.

For M11 it looks like the 4.6.5 & 4.7.4 version plasma-widgets-workspace packages in the M11 CR's provide notification-daemon.

The 4.5.1 version plasma-widgets-workspace package in a default M11 install doesn't provide notification-daemon. In that case you'll probably need to install one of the packages shown here: https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/notification-daemon.

chippy52
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#53 Postby chippy52 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:31 am

kmathern wrote:
chippy52 wrote:Yes I do have the libnotify-bin package installed. I did notice that one of the depends [ libnotify1-gtk2.10 ] was available. Maybe in one of the CR repositories?

From some of what I've read it looks like you might also need a package installed that provides notification-daemon.

Notification-daemon is a virtual package (https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/notification-daemon) that is provided by several other packages including the Xfce xfce4-notifyd package and the KDE4 plasma-widgets-workspace package.

For M11 it looks like the 4.6.5 & 4.7.4 version plasma-widgets-workspace packages in the M11 CR's provide notification-daemon.

The 4.5.1 version plasma-widgets-workspace package in a default M11 install doesn't provide notification-daemon. In that case you'll probably need to install one of the packages shown here: https://packages.debian.org/squeeze/notification-daemon.

I was able to get this to run on M11 with the aid of xfce4-notifyd.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MX15-x64_KDE_added_June_2016
Intel i5 2400, Asus P8H67-M-EVO, G-Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3-1333, nVidia GeForce GT430, Seagate 500GB sata3 HDD

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#54 Postby kmathern » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:47 am

Bump.

I've made some changes to the last line of the cron script here: viewtopic.php?p=331368#p331368 to make sure the notification appears.

When I first posted the script last Saturday I hadn't actually let anacron do the update, instead I tested it by fiddling with some of the cron file timestamps and by running the 'run-parts ...' command.

The notification did appear when I tested it that way, but the last couple mornings the notification didn't appear when anacron ran the script.

With the script change I did get a notification today when anacron ran it.

jdmeaux1952
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#55 Postby jdmeaux1952 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:42 am

Hey, I have an idea. The Department of Justice and the IRS team up with the NSA to put pressure on ADOBE to include NSA "spyware" in their code for flash. Then it gets released as a Zero-Day Update, and EVERYBODY gets to send the NSA their info. Don't worry! We're from the government and we are here to help you.
MSI S6000 i5-460M 4Gb mem
I am not CrAzY. And I have a paper from the doctors to prove it!
LRU# 563815
Phear the Penguin

richb
Administrator

#56 Postby richb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:50 am

This thread does not need to be politicized. Please do not post political oriented content.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX-15- 64 - migrated to MX-16 RC1
HD Test: MX-16 RC1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, fglrx driver, 16 GIG Mem. Samsung EVO SSD 250 GB, 350 GB HD

Jerry3904
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#57 Postby Jerry3904 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:23 am

kmathern wrote:Bump.

I've made some changes to the last line of the cron script here: viewtopic.php?p=331368#p331368 to make sure the notification appears.

When I first posted the script last Saturday I hadn't actually let anacron do the update, instead I tested it by fiddling with some of the cron file timestamps and by running the 'run-parts ...' command.

The notification did appear when I tested it that way, but the last couple mornings the notification didn't appear when anacron ran the script.

With the script change I did get a notification today when anacron ran it.
For the MX Flash Manager we are starting to spec, it would be nice to be able to give the user the choice to be notified or not. I can imagine a user wanting it at the beginning to make sure it is working, then maybe turn it off for a while, or something like that.

Can that be built into the script?
Production: 4.13.0-1-amd64, MX-17, AMD FX-4130 Quad-Core, GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2, 8 GB, Kingston SSD 120 GB and WesternDigital 1TB
Testing: AAO 722: 4.13.0-1-386. MX-17, AMD C-60 APU, 4 GB

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#58 Postby kmathern » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:03 am

Jerry3904 wrote:For the MX Flash Manager we are starting to spec, it would be nice to be able to give the user the choice to be notified or not. I can imagine a user wanting it at the beginning to make sure it is working, then maybe turn it off for a while, or something like that.

Can that be built into the script?

The line below that's highlighted in green can be added to the cron script.

Then in MX Flash Manager there would be a 'Enable notifications' checkbox. Checking it would do a `touch /etc/flash-update-notifications-enabled` to create the flag file, clearing it would remove the flag file.
#!/bin/sh

grep -q "^flags.*\<sse2\>" /proc/cpuinfo || exit 0

test -x /usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree || exit 0

BeforeUpdate="$(strings /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so | awk '/LNX/{print $2}')"
BeforeUpdateVal=$(strings /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so | awk '/LNX/{print $2}' | sed 's/,//g')

/usr/sbin/update-flashplugin-nonfree --install --quiet

AfterUpdate="$(strings /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so | awk '/LNX/{print $2}')"
AfterUpdateVal=$(strings /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so | awk '/LNX/{print $2}' | sed 's/,//g')

test $AfterUpdateVal -gt $BeforeUpdateVal || exit 0

test -e /etc/flash-update-notifications-enabled || exit 0

env XAUTHORITY=$(su - $(who | grep '(:0)' -m1 | awk '{print $1}') -c 'echo $HOME')/.Xauthority DISPLAY=:0 notify-send "Flash Update" \\n"Flash has been updated"\\n\\n"from: "$BeforeUpdate\\n" to: "$AfterUpdate\\n\\n"(click here to dismiss this notification)" -t 0

aus9
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

#59 Postby aus9 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:24 am

for those using Adobe flash , at time of writing, it needs updating

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/adobe-iss ... day-440210

The company said Linux users should update to version 11.2.202.643
good Luck from MX-16 user

kmathern
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

#60 Postby kmathern » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:01 am

aus9 wrote:for those using Adobe flash , at time of writing, it needs updating

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/adobe-iss ... day-440210

The company said Linux users should update to version 11.2.202.643

MX Flash has been updated to use bunsen-pepperflash to install and update the PPAPI flash plugin.

There is still a problem with MX flash though when it comes to updating the 11.2.202.xxx NPAPI plugin. It uses Debian's update-flashplugin-nonfree updater for that and it hasn't been keeping up with the NPAPI plugin updates like it should.

This long command will update the 11.2.202.xxx NPAPI plugin

Code: Select all

su -c 'NPAPIUpstream=$(wget -qO- https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ | grep Linux -A10 | grep NPAPI -A1 | grep -Eo [0-9.]+); Arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture | sed 's/amd64/x86_64/'); wget https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/$NPAPIUpstream/install_flash_player_11_linux.$Arch.tar.gz -nd -P . -v --progress=dot:default -O- | tar -C /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ --overwrite -xzf- libflashplayer.so && chown root:root /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so'

Return to “General”