Welcome!
Important information
-- Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities
-- Change in MX sources

News
-- MX Linux on social media: here
-- Mepis support still here

Current releases
-- MX-17.1 Final release info here
-- antiX-17 release info here

New users
-- Please read this first, and don't forget to add system and hardware information to posts!
-- Here are the Forum Rules

Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board. Just don't post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
94
55%
Undecided
40
24%
Undecided
36
21%
 
Total votes: 170

Message
Author
User avatar
zeeone
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:50 am

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#101 Post by zeeone » Wed May 25, 2011 6:54 pm

Gaer Boy wrote:
zeeone wrote:
Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot. :lipsrsealed:
I don't have that problem - I just checked. Plugged in my USB HD, 3 partitions (ext3, ext3, ntfs) all showing in Dolphin and they mount automatically. Removes just as easily.
Okay if you say it works, then I will try it again, it has not happened since the start of testing M11 and I have reported it several times with no replies.
Have the M11 HD, fresh install from the ISO, up and running. Plug the EXT3 external HD in, turn it on, there is the hi I am here blink and nothing.
Hummm, hang on I will get the one MacBook Pro that I have M11 dual booted on. I have been working other issues on it and have not tried to mount a external HD to it.
M11 is up and running, plugging in the external HD, turning it on, there is hi I am here blink and buda bing there it is. Mount it, there it shows up in dolphin.
Oh, can not unmount it from dolphin no right click from the Apple trac pad, there can do it from the task bar. There it does work on the Apple, wonder why it will
not work on the main machine. Wait a minute, let me try this, there that did it. I just hot, hot plugged(powered up) the external drive and it came up. Strange,
the Apple came up using the on/off switch and the main machine did not. To get the external to come up, I would have to power up the external, then reboot.
Well it is working now in a funny way on the main machine. Maybe because the main machine's M11 is 64bit and the Apple is 32bit. I stand corrected. :bagoverhead:
Thanks for the response.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

User avatar
Danum
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:49 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#102 Post by Danum » Wed May 25, 2011 7:03 pm

zeeone wrote:
Gaer Boy wrote:
Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot.

I don't have that problem - I just checked. Plugged in my USB HD, 3 partitions (ext3, ext3, ntfs) all showing in Dolphin and they mount automatically. Removes just as easily.
Okay if you say it works, then I will try it again, it has not happened since the start of testing M11 and I have reported it several times with no replies.
Have the M11 HD, fresh install from the ISO, up and running. Plug the EXT3 external HD in, turn it on, there is the hi I am here blink and nothing.
Hummm, hang on I will get the one MacBook Pro that I have M11 dual booted on. I have been working other issues on it and have not tried to mount a external HD to it.
M11 is up and running, plugging in the external HD, turning it on, there is hi I am here blink and buda bing there it is. Mount it, there it shows up in dolphin.
Oh, can not unmount it from dolphin no right click from the Apple trac pad, there can do it from the task bar. There it does work on the Apple, wonder why it will
not work on the main machine. Wait a minute, let me try this, there that did it. I just hot, hot plugged(powered up) the external drive and it came up. Strange,
the Apple came up using the on/off switch and the main machine did not. To get the external to come up, I would have to power up the external, then reboot.
Well it is working now in a funny way on the main machine. Maybe because the main machine's M11 is 64bit and the Apple is 32bit. I stand corrected. :bagoverhead:
Thanks for the response.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

User avatar
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#103 Post by TenderFoot » Wed May 25, 2011 7:23 pm

OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

It must be easy since there are 170 votes and only 102 posts!

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 17103
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#104 Post by richb » Wed May 25, 2011 7:25 pm

TenderFoot wrote:OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

It must be easy since there are 170 votes and only 102 posts!
This is an old poll that was closed March 28th.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

User avatar
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1955
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 am

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#105 Post by malspa » Wed May 25, 2011 7:29 pm

richb wrote:
TenderFoot wrote:OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

It must be easy since there are 170 votes and only 102 posts!
This is an old poll that was closed March 28th.
Yeah -- and, again, it really was about KDE4 in Mepis 8.5. Maybe a new thread and poll would be good, but I think most people here are probably happy with KDE4, or else they wouldn't still be using Mepis.

User avatar
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#106 Post by TenderFoot » Wed May 25, 2011 7:51 pm

Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!

User avatar
richb
Administrator
Posts: 17103
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:17 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#107 Post by richb » Wed May 25, 2011 7:55 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
I am not sure what conclusion you are referring to. The creator of the poll decides what it is about and how long it will run.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

Rich
SSD Production: MX 17.1
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB, 350 GB HD

User avatar
malspa
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Posts: 1955
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 am

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#108 Post by malspa » Wed May 25, 2011 8:07 pm

richb wrote:
TenderFoot wrote:Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
I am not sure what conclusion you are referring to. The creator of the poll decides what it is about and how long it will run.
Probably my conclusion that most people here like KDE4, etc.

User avatar
TenderFoot
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#109 Post by TenderFoot » Wed May 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Thank you malspa - at least you understood.

User avatar
uncle mark
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Posts: 4980
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#110 Post by uncle mark » Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm

TenderFoot wrote:Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
For most of us, KDE4 has been an acquired taste. But I believe that in nearly all cases, us KDE3.5 diehards have come around, and today are happy with the DTE. And those that aren't, well... they've at least quit beating the horse. It died a long time ago.
Desktop: Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia -- MEPIS 11
Laptop: Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX-15
Assorted junk: assorted Linuxes

Post Reply

Return to “General”