Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

zeeone

Re: Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

#101 Post by zeeone »

Gaer Boy wrote:
zeeone wrote:
Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot. :lipsrsealed:
I don't have that problem - I just checked. Plugged in my USB HD, 3 partitions (ext3, ext3, ntfs) all showing in Dolphin and they mount automatically. Removes just as easily.
Okay if you say it works, then I will try it again, it has not happened since the start of testing M11 and I have reported it several times with no replies.
Have the M11 HD, fresh install from the ISO, up and running. Plug the EXT3 external HD in, turn it on, there is the hi I am here blink and nothing.
Hummm, hang on I will get the one MacBook Pro that I have M11 dual booted on. I have been working other issues on it and have not tried to mount a external HD to it.
M11 is up and running, plugging in the external HD, turning it on, there is hi I am here blink and buda bing there it is. Mount it, there it shows up in dolphin.
Oh, can not unmount it from dolphin no right click from the Apple trac pad, there can do it from the task bar. There it does work on the Apple, wonder why it will
not work on the main machine. Wait a minute, let me try this, there that did it. I just hot, hot plugged(powered up) the external drive and it came up. Strange,
the Apple came up using the on/off switch and the main machine did not. To get the external to come up, I would have to power up the external, then reboot.
Well it is working now in a funny way on the main machine. Maybe because the main machine's M11 is 64bit and the Apple is 32bit. I stand corrected. :bagoverhead:
Thanks for the response.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Registered Linux User # 398829

Danum

#102 Post by Danum »

zeeone wrote:
Gaer Boy wrote:
Danum wrote:What can you not do in KDE4 that you can in KDE3 ??
Sorry, I can not help myself. In KDE3 I can plug and play, any file format external HD, In KDE4 I can only do this if I reboot the system with the external HDs turned on before the reboot.

I don't have that problem - I just checked. Plugged in my USB HD, 3 partitions (ext3, ext3, ntfs) all showing in Dolphin and they mount automatically. Removes just as easily.
Okay if you say it works, then I will try it again, it has not happened since the start of testing M11 and I have reported it several times with no replies.
Have the M11 HD, fresh install from the ISO, up and running. Plug the EXT3 external HD in, turn it on, there is the hi I am here blink and nothing.
Hummm, hang on I will get the one MacBook Pro that I have M11 dual booted on. I have been working other issues on it and have not tried to mount a external HD to it.
M11 is up and running, plugging in the external HD, turning it on, there is hi I am here blink and buda bing there it is. Mount it, there it shows up in dolphin.
Oh, can not unmount it from dolphin no right click from the Apple trac pad, there can do it from the task bar. There it does work on the Apple, wonder why it will
not work on the main machine. Wait a minute, let me try this, there that did it. I just hot, hot plugged(powered up) the external drive and it came up. Strange,
the Apple came up using the on/off switch and the main machine did not. To get the external to come up, I would have to power up the external, then reboot.
Well it is working now in a funny way on the main machine. Maybe because the main machine's M11 is 64bit and the Apple is 32bit. I stand corrected. :bagoverhead:
Thanks for the response.
Research, Research, Research, Before You Walk The Plank.
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

TenderFoot

#103 Post by TenderFoot »

OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

It must be easy since there are 170 votes and only 102 posts!

richb
Administrator

#104 Post by richb »

TenderFoot wrote:OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

This is an old poll that was closed March 28th.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

malspa

#105 Post by malspa »

richb wrote:
TenderFoot wrote:OK - so how do I vote on this (I'm a NO)?

This is an old poll that was closed March 28th.
Yeah -- and, again, it really was about KDE4 in Mepis 8.5. Maybe a new thread and poll would be good, but I think most people here are probably happy with KDE4, or else they wouldn't still be using Mepis.

TenderFoot

#106 Post by TenderFoot »

Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!

richb
Administrator

#107 Post by richb »

TenderFoot wrote:Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
I am not sure what conclusion you are referring to. The creator of the poll decides what it is about and how long it will run.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

malspa

#108 Post by malspa »

richb wrote:
TenderFoot wrote:Not sure that I agree with that conclusion since it's the only option in Mepis and the desktop is not the only reason for upgrading.

I am not sure what conclusion you are referring to. The creator of the poll decides what it is about and how long it will run.
Probably my conclusion that most people here like KDE4, etc.

TenderFoot

#109 Post by TenderFoot »

Thank you malspa - at least you understood.

uncle mark

#110 Post by uncle mark »

TenderFoot wrote:Anyway, I stuck with 8 to avoid KDE4 (cashews, widgets et al) in 8.5 but am now looking at Mepis 11 which is the subject of a new thread not long ago...!
For most of us, KDE4 has been an acquired taste. But I believe that in nearly all cases, us KDE3.5 diehards have come around, and today are happy with the DTE. And those that aren't, well... they've at least quit beating the horse. It died a long time ago.
Custom build Asus/AMD/nVidia circa 2011 -- MX 19.2 KDE
Acer Aspire 5250 -- MX 21 KDE
Toshiba Satellite C55 -- MX 18.3 Xfce
Assorted Junk -- assorted Linuxes

Return to “General”