Poll - Happy with KDE 4 or not?

For interesting topics. But remember this is a Linux Forum. Do not post offensive topics that are meant to cause trouble with other members or are derogatory towards people of different genders, race, color, minors (this includes nudity and sex), politics or religion. Let's try to keep peace among the community and for visitors.

No spam on this or any other forums please! If you post advertisements on these forums, your account may be deleted.

Do not copy and paste entire or even up to half of someone else's words or articles into posts. Post only a few sentences or a paragraph and make sure to include a link back to original words or article. Otherwise it's copyright infringement.

You can talk about other distros here, but no MX bashing. You can email the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX.

Are you happy with M8.5 KDE 4?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Undecided
55%
Undecided
24%
Undecided
21%

Total votes: 170

Topher

#11 Post by Topher »

I answered yes, but will stick to 8.0 & KDE3 until I understand my way around 4 better. I don't learn as fast as I used to.

beckwith

#12 Post by beckwith »

Check release numbers. 8.5 does not ship with 4.4KDE, it's
4.3 with 8000+ bugs. If you push it a little it breaks. OK
if you are happy with what is shipped, but don't try and
configure it.

richb
Administrator

#13 Post by richb »

beckwith wrote:Check release numbers. 8.5 does not ship with 4.4KDE, it's
configure it.
????????? Push it how? It runs everything I need, why must one push it? Configures OK for me.
Forum Rules
Guide - How to Ask for Help

richb Administrator
System: MX 23 KDE
AMD A8 7600 FM2+ CPU R7 Graphics, 16 GIG Mem. Three Samsung EVO SSD's 250 GB

mikeg

#14 Post by mikeg »

I'm fairly new but I like KDE 4 so far. Glad you did't go with the new scrolling/rolling menu!

mikeg

Danum

#15 Post by Danum »

configure it.
And how many bugs are outstanding in 3.5, I will let you check
99% of which will never be fixed.
And for the record there are no bugs in debian 4.3 anymore,
because 4.3 it is not in the debian repo's, long gone.
As for breaking if you insist on using it as you would 3.5 it will. that is why it is called 4.3
Desktop.
Zalman Z11 Plus ATX PC Tower, AMD FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera, 8 Core 4.4 GHz, Kingston HyperX FURY Red 16GB, Nvidia GT740 Graphics, Pioneer BDR-209EBK Writer, 2 x Seagate 1TB SSHD SATA Hybrid Hard Drives. ASUS VS278Q 27 inch HD Monitor

joany

#16 Post by joany »

configure it.
I've only found 2 or 3 bugs, which I easily worked around. Of course, I tend not to "push things" beyond their design limits. This policy applies to appliances, cars, and desktop environments. :wink:
MX-14; 3.12-0.bpo.1-686-pae kernel using 4GB RAM
2.4GHz AMD Athlon 4600+
NVidia GeForce 6150 LE; 304.121 Display Driver
You didn't slow down because you're old; you're old because you slowed down.

arjaybe

#17 Post by arjaybe »

I must admit that I haven't used KDE 4.* very much, but I don't think I could name 8,000 features, much less 8,000 bugs.
Green Comet
Space particles.

SilverBear

1337 customization with no Bear sweat

#18 Post by SilverBear »

Yo, Ace!
You know I can't resist a poll!
I'm on record as being a guy who seriously discussed making antiX his main distro rather than go KDE4. Anybody who doesn't know that already, please be aware.

Danum, was the guy who spun me right 'round with his Canteras releases. Then Warren Woodford put his hand on my shoulder and stopped me from spinning any further than 180 degrees.

Prior to 4.3, the new KDE was "not ready for prime time" IMO. Yes, and 4.3 needs a little loving care to be the kind of girl (guy) you want to take home to meet Mom.
Know that Danum & WW are master headmasters in the KDE Charm School.

Configurable? Here's my MSI portable's version of Mepis 8.5, which has been continuously updated since it was installed from the Alpha release LiveCD.

Item 1 was that with a 1366x768 widescreen format, I needed vertical space. So the "panel" plasmoid went further left than anticapitalista. (No dig intended, anti! You know yer "my man!" I just can't resist hamming up a forum post.) Then I installed and configured Conky, since I consider that utility "a must" on a laptop.

Point is, Mepis 8.5 with KDE4.3 lets me do this:

Got my wireless working with no sweat, got Quanta installed with a little pinning of packages, doing the MC repo version of GIMP for grafix, getting (slowly!) some work done today revising mepis.org, all on "my" Mep 8.5 on this machine. . .

I'm not denying that somebody might be having problems with KDE4.3 or Mepis 8.5.
But it ain't this Bear.
"masai7" Intel i7 3770k; 16GB RAM; GeForce GTX-750

masinick

I like it a lot

#19 Post by masinick »

richb wrote:I am very happy with MEPIS 8.5 and KDE 4.4. I was skeptical when KDE4 was first released. In fact I disliked it. As more releases came out I became a convert. And Warren has done a great job integrating KDE4 with stable Debian, not an easy task. I am looking forward with great anticipation to Mepis 10.
I was not quite as reluctant as Rich; I got an earlier start, though not quite as early as Danum. On some non-Debian systems, I got a REALLY early look at KDE 4.0, and it was poor enough not to consider very seriously. When KDE 4.1 came out, it was more functional, enough to use for some stuff. I used it on and off with Kubuntu, but stuck to legacy KDE.

When KDE 4.2.2 became available in Debian Sid, I gave it a whirl. For the most part it was good, but I did find and report some defects, which I am happy to say were fixed by KDE 4.2.4, also in Debian Sid. By that time, I was a regular KDE user in Debian Sid, plus I used some of the really good KDE 4.2 respins provided by Danum.

So by the time we got KDE 4 in SimplyMEPIS, I was looking forward to it and I can say that it is one of the smoothest, unobtrusive KDE implementations I've used, so it gets my endorsement.
Brian Masinick
I use both SimplyMEPIS and antiX

Adrian
Developer

#20 Post by Adrian »

Yes, cause 4.4 is much better than crappier attempt that 4.0 was and Warren got KDE 4 right with default sane desktop settings.

Return to “General”